Final Fantasy XV Guide: Timed Quest List, Locations & Rewards
While Final Fantasy XV is home to a fairly typical epic RPG single-player quest as detailed in part in our guide to several major parts of the main game. With updates and patches FF15 is changing significantly, however - and one major addition are timed quests.
We've already had a timed event in the form of the Moogle Chocobo Carnival, and timed quests are, well... they're exactly what you think they are. Originally added in February, the timed quest system provides unique one-shot quests that are only available for a limited amount of time, adding a sprinkling of the sort of time-sensitive action you'd typically find in mobile-based RPGs or MMOs to FF15's open world.
It's sort of an ideal fit, too - FF15's massive open world is arguably a little under-utilized in the actual game, but the timed quests are allowing Square Enix to put some interesting new content into the world. It can all be a little confusing, however - so we're here to help.
Final Fantasy XV: How Timed Quests & Quest Points (QP) Work
Final Fantasy XV's timed quests aren't just delivered through the internet - they actually feed back into Square Enix's online servers, too. Your performance in each quest will be ranked against others online, and that'll determine the amount of points you get for your timed quest completion.
Ranking rewards Quest Points - QP - but this system is needlessly complicated thanks to a little wrinkle: there are two different kinds of QP.
One type is used for the general Prize Exchange shop, while the other are used in a specific, time-limited store for the current event. Yes, they're named the same thing. Yes, this is stupid. Just remember to spend the QP for the time-limited store before any given event ends.
Generally speaking you'll find the best items in the event exclusive stores, meaning you'll need to work hard to grind out quest points for each individual timed quest event. The other store you can save up for items in over time and over numerous timed quests, so that stuff is obviously much less pressing.
How to get Quest Points & Buy Rewards
Okay, so you now understand how some of the silly systems in place in FF15's timed quest system work. Now it's time to get to work.
In order to kick off a timed quest, open up your in-game menu and find the option there to see the list of timed quests. In that menu you'll be able to see full details on the quest, its rewards and all that stuff.
You can complete the quests once an hour, and as mentioned above your hourly rating will determine your rank on the leaderboards, which in turn decides that rewards you get. There are three rankings - Hourly, Daily and Overall, each with different rewards.
The daily reward resets every day at 11am in Tokyo. That's 10pm Eastern, 7pm Pacific, 3am in the UK and 2am in most of Western Europe.
Here's the rewards for each rank in each category:
Hourly Timed Quest Rewards
- Top 100 players: 40 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 500 players: 30 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 1000 players: 20 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 2500 players: 10 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 5000 players: 5 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
Daily Timed Quest Rewards
- Top 100 players: 200 event QP / 15 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 1000 players: 100 event QP / 10 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 2500 players: 50 event QP / 5 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 5000 players: 25 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 10,000 players: 10 event QP / 1 Prize Exchange QP
Overall Timed Quest Rewards
- Top 100 players: 1500 event QP / 150 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 1000 players: 1000 event QP / 100 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 2500 players: 500 event QP / 50 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 5000 players: 250 event QP / 25 Prize Exchange QP
- Top 10,000 players: 100 event QP / 20 Prize Exchange QP
Your QP can then be exchanged for prize exchange items. That includes the Afrosword inspired by the DJ Afrojack, but also other bonuses such as a shed-load of EXP or AP, Gil, or Oracle Ascension Coins. Handy!
Timed Quest Location for all timed quests past & present
Below you'll find details on all of the timed quests, plus videos of their completion from our sister site Nova Crystallis.
Timed Quest #5: Fishing Contest, Hunting Contest
- This timed quest is running in phases.
- The Fishing Contest phase is running until 8th May 2017.
- The Hunting Contest phase is running until 15th May 2017.
- In the fishing phase of this quest you're taking part in a fishing competition, with your performance finishing earning you QP that can be redeemed, as detailed above, for rewards.
- In the hunting phase of this quest you'll be tracking down a variety of beasts (though they're weaker than other high-end timed quest bosses) to earn QP by slaying them.
- The rewards include the Afrosword and Wind-up Lord Vexxos items, plus hugely helpful restoratives such as Magalixir and Mega Phoenix, plus Gil, EXP and AP.
Timed Quest #4: Midgardsormr & Hvitrormr
- This timed quest ran until March 26th 2017 - it's now over.
- To complete this quest you must kill three level 54 Midgardsormr & two level 78 Hvitrormr.
- Location: Ravatoghan Trail, near the Maidenwater Parking Place
- Rewards: 777,777 gil, 20,000 EXP, 500 AP, 5 Oracle Ascension Coins
Timed Quest #3: Dread Behemoth
- This timed quest ran from 13th March 2017 until 20th March 2017. It is now finished.
- To complete you have to kill a level 140 Dread Behemoth.
- Location: Longwythe Peak, West of Hammerhead
- Rewards: 1,250,000 gil, 30,000 EXP, 999 AP, 9 Oracle Ascension Coins
Timed Quest #2: Malboro, Malbodoom & Karlabos
- This timed quest ran from 6th March 2017 until 13th March 2017. It is now closed.
- You must defeat 2 Malboro, 2 Malbodoom and 1 Karlabos.
- Location: Leirity Seaside, near Cape Caem
- Rewards: 500,000 gil, 15,000 EXP, 500 AP, 5 Oracle Ascension Coins
Timed Quest #1: Cacuar & Slacktaur
- This timed quest ran from 20th February 2017 until 6th March 2017. It is now over.
- You must defeat 100 Cacutar and Slacktaur.
- Location: Causcherry Plains
- Rewards: 150,000 gil, 10,000 EXP, 333 AP, 2 Oracle Ascension Coins