Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box Classics coming to Steam on March 29
SNEG has announced that they will be bringing many of the Dungeons and Dragons Gold Box CRPGs to Steam on March 29 in a series of collections. These collections are currently available on GOG.
The so-called 'Gold Box' series consists of classically styled RPGs that were released in the late '80s and early '90s, earning its nickname from the retail boxes the games were often sold in. This Steam release will offer a unified launcher for all games in the series, enhanced DOSBox support for improved performance, as well as some companion apps for easier mapping and journals.
The announcement from SNEG can be found below, which details the collections that will be made available. We also have several screenshots and artworks from all the various games - 22 in total. However, pricing details have yet to be given.
Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eye of the Beholder, Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun…for fans of Dungeons & Dragons and PC RPGs, these names immediately evoke fond memories of fantastic adventures in dangerous dungeons, vampire-infested lands, and post-apocalyptic worlds. The Gold Box PC games, based on these worlds and others, are, decades after their original release, still seen as quintessential RPG gaming experiences, and today, publisher SNEG has some great news for fans of the Gold Box series — they will be coming to Steam later this month! Not only that, but many of the games will be enhanced to feature companion apps, a unified launcher and character party transfer tool, and customized DOSBox updates.
Launched in 1988, the Gold Box series of computer role-playing games (CRPGs) are beloved by millions of players worldwide. Veteran Dungeons & Dragons players and CRPG newcomers alike enjoyed these games and their variety of unique settings and challenges. Whether it’s exploring the high-fantasy worlds of the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, surviving the brutal hellscape of Dark Sun, or battling a supreme vampire in the Ravenloft games, there was a Gold Box game for everyone! Grab your sword, spellbook, or Bag of Holding, and get ready for a return to nostalgia-laden adventures later this month!
“Even decades after their original release, the Gold Box games are seen by many as iconic Dungeons & Dragons digital experiences, and they practically defined computer RPGs,” said Oleg Klapovskiy, Director at SNEG. “Now, I’m overjoyed that we get to fulfill our dream of bringing these RPG gems back to PC gamers on Steam while introducing them to a new audience!”
The following collections of games will be available via Steam on March 29, 2022:
SNEG will be adding some extra bonuses to the games, including:
- Forgotten Realms: The Archives Collection One
- Eye of the Beholder I
- Eye of the Beholder II
- Eye of the Beholder III)
- Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two
- Curse of the Azure Bonds
- Gateway to the Savage Frontier
- Hillsfar, Pools of Darkness
- Pool of Radiance
- Secret of the Silver Blades
- Treasures of the Savage Frontier
- Unlimited Adventures
- Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three
- Dungeon Hack
- Krynn series
- Champions of Krynn
- Death Knights of Krynn
- The Dark Queen of Krynn
- Dark Sun series
- Shattered Lands
- Wake of the Ravager
- Ravenloft series
- Strahd's Possession
- Stone Prophet
- D&D Stronghold: Kingdom Simulator
- Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
- A special Gold Box launcher, making it easier to manage your Gold Box games, and transfer your adventuring parties between games
- Enhanced DOSBox support to offer the best performance possible for these games on modern PC hardware
- Companion apps for Eye of The Beholder Series (All-Seeing Eye) and the majority of other Gold Box Classics (Gold Box Companion) that manage dungeon mapping for you, provide easier access to journal entries, let you access spellbooks, and much more!
SNEG will release the Gold Box Classics via Steam for PC on March 29, 2022.