MMORPG TERA to shut down PC servers on June 30
Gameforge has announced that action MMORPG TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea, more commonly known as TERA, will shut down PC servers on June 30. TERA originally released for South Korea in 2011, followed by worldwide rollout in 2012, developed by Bluehole.
It's important to note that this shutdown announcement is specifically for the PC version of TERA, confirmed by the publisher Gameforge. The 2018-released console versions for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are published instead by Krafton, which has not specified any shutdown details.
The shutdown message and FAQ can be found below. More information can be found on the game's Twitter account.
TERA Shutdown Announcement
Hello TERA players,
Unfortunately, we come bearing bad news: TERA’s developers, Bluehole, have decided to cease work on TERA. After much consideration, the team in South Korea have come to the conclusion that they are no longer able to offer you the exciting and satisfying content you deserve. As the last remaining publisher of TERA, it is with a heavy heart that we must respect Bluehole’s decision, and will also have to shut down the game. The TERA servers will be switched off at 10 AM CEST (4 AM EDT) on 30th June 2022. Until then, we’ll be running some permanent events, in the hope that you’ll at least be able to enjoy these final months in Arborea.
After nearly 10 long years, the TERA legend must sadly come to an end. Together we’ve braved so many of Arborea’s perils, fought valiantly against the argons, made many new friends and gone on countless adventures. We would like to thank you for your loyalty, for accompanying us on this long journey, and for being such an amazing community!
For more details regarding TERA’s shutdown, please read our FAQs.
Our days in Arborea may be numbered, but the next adventure is just over the horizon. We hope to see you again soon in one of our other games.
The TERA Team
TERA Shutdown FAQ
When will Gameforge stop servicing Tera?
- New TERA account registrations and the ability to purchase Tera Thalers will be deactivated on 31st May 2022.
- TERA Club purchases will also be deactivated on 31st May 2022.
- All TERA servers will be deactivated on 30th June 2022 at 10:00 AM CEST.
Why is Tera shutting down?
- After careful deliberations, the developers of TERA (Bluehole) have unfortunately taken the difficult decision to end development of the game, as they feel that they are no longer able to provide the satisfying content that TERA players deserve. Instead they would like to focus their internal development efforts on other projects.
- Gameforge has happily hosted a great community in TERA for almost 10 years now, and would have happily served players even longer, but without the support of the developers this is not feasible.
Will there be any kind of migration options for players? What will happen to our accounts, currency and progress?
- As TERA will be shut down globally on PC, no migration options exists. Your TERA Thalers can still be spent until the servers shut down.
Will there be any refunds for purchased/remaining currency or TERA Club?
- No, there will be no refunds for purchases that have already been made, but players are able to spend their remaining TERA Thalers in the shop until the servers are shut down.
- For TERA Club members that have a long-term membership running beyond 30th June 2022, please contact our Payment Support team after the shutdown for a partial refund .
What about my Gameforge account?
- You will still be able to use your Gameforge account to play other Gameforge games such as NosTale or Swords of Legends Online, even after the TERA servers shut down on 30th June 2022.
What will happen to the forum and the TERA Social Media channels?
- All TERA channels, including the website, forum and all social media pages, will close shortly after the service has been shut down.