Hooded Horse and Overhype Studios announce new TRPG, Menace
During Gamescom, publisher Hooded Horse and developer Overhype Studios have revealed their latest release - a Tactical RPG called Menace, where players take control of a strike team answering distress calls across the galaxy.
Players cross the far reaches of the universe, making use of infantry, tanks, and everything at their disposal to deal with alien threats in what is described as a "brutal tactical RPG". Every playthrough is billed to be different from the last, as much of the game will be procedurally generated for each mission. Alongside the announcement, the developers launched a trailer for the title.
Hooded Horse is excited to announce MENACE, the first of two new games to be announced during gamescom 2023. From Overhype Studios, the developers behind popular medieval turn-based tactical RPG Battle Brothers, MENACE is a grounded sci-fi strategy experience that tasks players to restore order in the far reaches of space.
Lead a strike force against numerous threats in this brutal tactical RPG. Players must pick their allegiances and travel from planet to planet, fielding infantry, tanks, and mechs to answer distress calls and engage in intense turn-based battles. Cut off from the core worlds, help isn’t coming but neither is oversight or repercussions.
MENACE takes everything beloved about Battle Brothers – the evolving characters, the challenge, the army management, the dynamic sandbox gameplay – and yes, even the existential horror of facing off against an unbeatable enemy – and improves it tenfold. 3D environments allow for larger skirmishes across living battlefields, and the game’s mysterious enemy builds on Battle Brother’s sandbox and offers a powerful foe that has profound consequences on the strategic layer. Together these innovations will shake up the current norms of turn-based tactics games.
Key features of MENACE include:
- Procedurally generated multi-mission operations.
- Large, dynamic battle maps with innovative new mechanics for suppression and cover.
- A wide variety of vehicles for total combined-arms warfare.
- A large (and randomized) selection of characters to talk to, train, and forge together into an elite force aboard the TCRN Impetus, the player’s mobile base of operations.
- Countless equipment options, detailed supply management, and the ability to commandeer vehicles.
- Disparate factions to negotiate and ally with, or destroy, at the player’s option.
- Every run of MENACE plays differently from the last, and players will face seemingly insurmountable challenges that take multiple forms across playthroughs, testing strategic and tactical prowess in new ways each time.