Final Fantasy XIV open beta on Xbox Series X|S begins February 21, full game requires Game Pass subscription to play
Square Enix has announced that the open beta test for the Xbox Series X|S version of Final Fantasy XIV is set to launch on February 21. The game will launch in full after the beta test, determined after a thorough review.
An important note: buried within Square Enix's blog post is a statement noting that players of Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox need to have a Game Pass subscription in order to play the full version (past the free trial, that is). The statement is as follows:
"The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play."
As Kotaku points out, the lowest tier of a Game Pass subscription costs $9.99 per month, while the normal subscription cost for Final Fantasy XIV is $12.99 per month. That means a month of subscribed MMO play will cost about $23. It's worth noting that PlayStation players of Final Fantasy XIV do not have to be subscribed to PlayStation Plus.
Square Enix's announcement in full can be found below. Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail will launch in Summer 2024. Square Enix has not yet specified a launch date. Check out all the news that came out of January's Tokyo Fan Fest, including Pictomancer and female Hrothgar.
The open beta test for the Xbox Series X|S version of Final Fantasy XIV is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, February 21, 2024 at around 12:00 a.m. (PST)!
The open beta test will only be available to new players who will be playing Final Fantasy XIV for the first time. Take this opportunity to invite your Xbox-owning friends who have never experienced the ever-expanding world of Final Fantasy XIV and adventure together!
How to Participate
1. As Final Fantasy XIV is an online multiplayer game you may need to adjust various privacy settings to play on Xbox Series X|S. You may do so by accessing the Xbox settings menu and navigating through the following options: Settings > Account > Privacy & online safety > Xbox privacy > View details & customize >Communication & multiplayer. The following settings are required:
- "You can join multiplayer games," set to Allow
- "You can join cross-network play," set to Allow
- "Others can communicate with voice, text, or invites," set to Everybody
- "You can communicate outside of Xbox with voice & text," set to Everybody
From the previous View details & customize menu, select Game content and confirm:
- "You can see and upload community creations," set to Everybody
2. Navigate to the Microsoft Store, search for Final Fantasy XIV and visit the product page.
3. From the “…” option menu, select and download the Final Fantasy XIV Free Trial onto your Xbox Series X|S.
4. After installation finishes, launch the game and follow the on-screen instructions to begin your adventure.
The open beta test contains the same content, features, and limitations as the Free Trial version, minus the ability to make optional Online Store purchases.
The Free Trial version, including the open beta test, will not require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play. However, the full Xbox Series X|S version will require an Xbox Game Pass (Core or Ultimate) plan to play.
Existing Final Fantasy XIV Players
Players who already have the Free Trial version for a different platform or a FINAL FANTASY XIV license registered to their Square Enix account will be unable to participate in the open beta test. We ask any players, who wish to play FINAL FANTASY XIV on Xbox with an existing Square Enix account and its associated characters, to please wait until the full Xbox launch after the open beta test concludes.
To play on Xbox, you will need to link your Microsoft account and Square Enix account. You will not be able to unlink the accounts once linked. We ask that existing players please wait until the official release to link your Square Enix account to your Microsoft account.
Transferring to the Official Xbox Series X|S Version
We are planning to launch the Xbox Series X|S version immediately following the conclusion of the open beta test, the date of which will be determined after thorough reviews. Final Fantasy XIV game data will be transferred, and you will not need to redownload the game to play. The timing of the data transfer and official release for the Xbox Series X|S will be announced at a later date.
Should maintenance be required to address any issues discovered during the open beta test, we will announce those details separately.