The Waylanders is a party-based time-travel cRPG set to release on PC in 2020
Spain-based Gato Studios has released a new cinematic trailer and screenshots for The Waylanders, showcasing a bit of the art style and brief premise of the game.
The Waylanders is a time-travel party-based cRPG inspired by Celtic mythology that successfully ran a Kickstarter campaign at the end of 2018. It features real-time combat with a tactical pause (RTwP), and while it can be played with a classic isometric, top-down view, players can also shift to a third-person perspective.
The project has some interesting names attached to it, including narrative lead Emily Grace Buck (Telltale’s The Walking Dead) and consultant Mike Laidlaw (Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire). Gato Studios announced today that Chris Avellone (Fallout: New Vegas and many other RPGs) has also been a part of the narrative team, while Inon Zur (Dragon Age, Fallout series) is set to provide the musical score. The Steam page is here, and the game is set to launch in 2020.
Find the trailer below, alongside a description and several screenshots via Gato Studios.
ABOUT THIS GAME
EPIC STORY INSPIRED IN CELTIC MYTHOLOGY
The first meeting between the Celts and their gods, the Tuatha de Danaan should have been a time of celebration and enlightenment. But, when the negotiations go catastrophically wrong, you find yourself near death- and untethered from time! The land has been overtaken by magickal corruptions, and the kingdom, once peaceful, has splintered into multiple factions warring for the throne. The Celtic culture- a complex tapestry of different religions, cultures, mortal and immortal human races, werewolves, druids, goblins, and monsters threatens to tear at every seam. Will you support the immature yet rightful heir, or the pragmatic general? What alliances will you forge, what friendships will you foster, what romances will you pursue, and... what will you do when you are suddenly thrust into Medieval Spain?
You discover, because you have been untethered from time, that you are able to travel between the Celtic and Medieval eras. Things look pretty different in Galicia under Christianity than they did under Celtic rule. Where are your immortal allies now, and what has become of the souls of your mortal friends, reincarnated? Could the corrupt magicks that interfered during your meeting with the Tuatha have led to the destruction of all the Celtic world held dear? Or was a larger force of politics and religion at fault- or, perhaps, to thank for the changes the world has experienced?
The Waylanders is an exciting fantasy RPG inspired by classics such as Dragon Age: Origins and Baldur’s Gate.
- Unique, party-based experience that time travels between two distinct eras: Celtic and Medieval
- Story: written by international acclaimed scriptwriters: Emily Grace Buck (Lead Writer), Chris Avellone (Writer) and Mike Laidlaw (Consultant)
- Music by an Emmy award-winner,3 times BAFTA nominee and Fallout's main theme composer, Inon Zur.
- Multiple endings: choices made in one time period can have dire consequences in the other, meaning players will feel the impact of their decisions in surprising and shocking ways.
- Strategy and innovation: gameplay features unique formations for deep, tactical combat
- Full character customization: 6 basic and 30 advanced classes, 5 playable races based on Celtic mythology and different origins for your character
- Companions: they are an integral part of any RPG experience, and The Waylanders offers a variety of traveling companions that can join you on your journey. The player will be able to talk to their companions in-depth, discover their past, play loyalty missions, and even experience romances with them.