Action RPG Mortal Shell announced for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC
Publisher Playstack and developer Cold Symmetry have announced Mortal Shell, a soulslike Action RPG set to release for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in Q3 2020.
Cold Symmetry is a new 15-person indie studio that has been working on Mortal Shell 'in secret' for two years. In a press release, studio founders Andrew McLennan-Murray, Anton Gonzalez, and Vitaly Bulgarov said in a joint statement:
"For a small team like ours, developing this title in many ways felt like crossing an ocean on a paddle board. To finally announce Mortal Shell is one of the most exciting and terrifying experiences we’ve had in our lifetimes. The last two years have been a time of non-stop growth, full of shocking revelations of sheer complexity that goes into creating a video game that you, yourself, would really enjoy playing.”
Find a trailer, description, and screenshot set below via Playstack and Cold Symmetry. Players can sign up to participate in a limited closed beta on the game's official website.
About Mortal Shell
Awakening as an empty vessel, you will enter into a shattered and twisted world where the remains of humanity wither and rot. Implored to do the bidding of the mysterious “Dark Father”, you must traverse this tattered landscape and track down hidden sanctums of devout followers. There, in Mortal Shell’s most hallowed grounds, you must overcome formidable foes and harvest the sacred glands. You won’t be truly alone when the dead litter your path: Scattered across this land are the remnant anima of lost warriors who can be inhabited to gain their unique abilities and knowledge of weapons. The Dark Father is desperate for you to complete your task — but to what end?
- Discover “Shells” to Suit Your Playstyle - The lost remains of defeated warriors are yours to unearth. Awaken these Mortal Shells, occupy their bodies and significantly widen your understanding of different forms of combat. Inhabit a Shell that best fits your style and utilizes their own unique mastery of skills and weapon upgrades.
- Iron Sharpens Iron - Combat is strategic and deliberate. Survival demands superior awareness, precision and instincts. You must commit your sword only when an opportunity opens. Calculate your parries to unleash devastating counterblows.
- Non-linear Campaign - Draw your own path across marsh-infested lowlands, through a gargantuan cathedral of obsidian rock, and into an ancient crypt frozen into the crest of a mountain.
- Deep Upgrade Paths - The stronger your connection to each Mortal Shell grows, the better you can harness their innate talents. Craft unique upgrades, sharpen your blade with acid, and study dark arcane abilities that imbue your attacks with supernatural devastation.
- Face Haunting Foes - Your path is guarded by desperate adversaries, devoted to inscrutable gods. Behold creatures both pitiable and grotesque, but do not let fear halt your journey. Muster your courage and face them down.
- Developed by AAA Veterans - Mortal Shell has been developed by a coalition of seasoned veterans with an unbridled passion for the soulslike genre.