Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Mystery Gift codes list & how to unlock early
A standard-issue staple feature of games in the Pokemon franchise is Mystery Gift, a simple mechanic where the game connects to the internet and pulls down a present defined by the folks at The Pokemon Company. To use the feature you first have to unlock it, however, and there's two ways of doing that in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl.
Mystery Gift is always worth using from time to time, as you can find rare items delivered through the service - or more importantly, you can often get rare or even legendary or mythical Pokemon through the service. At the launch of Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, you can receive one of the Mythical type Pokemon Manaphy through the Mystery Gift system, for instance.
As it happens, there's two ways to unlock Mystery Gift in these games - the normal way, and a different way that unlocks it slightly early. On this page, we explain how to unlock Mystery Gift early - and then how to use it.
- How to unlock Mystery Gift early
- How to use the feature & redeem Mystery Gifts
- Mystery Gift Codes & List
First of all, if you'd just rather follow the natural route, it's worth noting that the Pokemon BDSP Mystery Gift system will be naturally unlocked for the player once you conquer the Veilstone City Gym. Once you reach that point in the story, Mystery Gift will automatically be opened up to you.
If you want tom get Mystery Gift earlier, however, Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are built to accommodate. Here's how to unlock it a little early:
- First of all, you'll need to defeat Roark, the Gym Leader of Oreburgh City. This is your very first gym badge - and Veilstone is your third - so you will be unlocking Mystery Gift fairly early!
- After beating Roark and getting the Coal Badge, go back to Jubilife City. After a cutscene with Team Galactic & Professor Rowan there, go to the Jubilife TV Station building found on the West of town.
- On Floor 3F you'll find an NPC that's a TV producer. He'll ask you what your favorite TV show is.
- In response to this question, answer "EVERYONE HAPPY WI-FI CONNECTION". This'll give you the Mystery Gift feature ahead of time. Done!
Once the service has been unlocked, you can reach the Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Mystery Gift menu at any time by pressing the X button to open up the menu and selecting, er, you guessed it, the Mystery Gifts option. From here, you have two options:
- Get Via Internet will connect to the internet via the WiFi your Nintendo Switch is connected to and search for any online events. If there's one available, it'll be downloaded to your machine. This is how most events are unlocked going forwards.
- Get via Code/Password is a more traditional method of Mystery Gift delivery, where you can enter a promotional code obtained from elsewhere to get access to items and the like.
As soon as you've redeemed in either method, the give-away items will be in your inventory or Pokemon line-up immediately. It's really that simple.
There's a range of mystery gifts available in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl - though many of them are strictly time limited. The vast majority of them are available over the internet, and will be automatically rewarded to you when you choose to get a Mystery Gift via the internet. others require codes that are one-time use, and specifically issues under certain circumstances. There are, however, some Mystery Gift codes that you can obtain; entering these passwords nets you the rewards.
Here's all the current Pokemon BDSP Mystery Gift options you can currently get:
- Code - BDSPUNDERGR0UND: enter the code 'BDSPUNDERGR0UND' in order to get Statues of Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup that can then be placed into your Grand Underground Base. This code expires on May 31st, 2022.
- Platinum Outfits: available via the internet, these are the character outfits as worn in Pokemon Platinum, the third version of these games. Most of the Platinum features are already in Pokemon BDSP; this adds another.
- Manaphy Egg: up until February 21st 2022, players will be able to connect to the Mystery Gift system and nab themselves a Manaphy, a mythical Pokemon added to the Pokedex as part of the original Diamond and Pearl. As with all eggs, walk around with the egg in your possession to hatch your mythical Pokemon.
- Quick Ball Set: if you buy Pokemon BDSP from the Nintendio eShop before February 21st 2022, you will get a code that gives you 12 Quick Balls.
- Poke Ball Set: if you buy the Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl double pack, you will get 2 codes that together give you 100 Poke Balls.
- Apricorn Ball Set: if you buy the game from certain retailers (Amazon in the US, ShopTo in the UK), you'll get a code that gives a selection of Poke Balls: a Fast Ball, Level Ball, Moon Ball, Heavy Ball, Love Ball, Lure Ball, and Friend Ball.
- Pokemon Center Happiny: only available in Japan; you can get a one-time-use code from the Pokemon Center Stores.