Now that Final Fantasy XV: Comrades is out, players are jumping online and taking the role of Kingsglaive soldiers to tackle multiplayer adventures in the world of FF15. The expansion seems to be an ambitious expansion of the continuing FF15 universe concept, and has been eagerly anticipated since it was first announced in the wake of FF15's launch.
We've got plenty more on Comrades and how it all works, so check out that page if you want to know all the basics about FF15's Comrades multiplayer.
There is one slight issue, however: in classic form for the PlayStation Store and Xbox Live, Comrades is hidden away in the menus in a rather annoying fashion - and if you want to jump in, you're going to need to download it. As such, here we are stating the obvious: how to download Comrades for FF15, and how to start it.
FF15 Comrades Release Date and Time
Just to be clear, Comrades launched on November 15, 2017 on both PS4 and Xbox One. It's available to anyone who owns the Final Fantasy XV season pass - if you have that, you're already entitled to the multiplayer DLC expansion.
The game unlocked at around midnight pacific time on the 15th.
How to Download FF15 Comrades on PS4 and Xbox One
Comrades doesn't come as part of an update to FF15, and as a result you'll need to track it down and 'buy' and download the free update from the PlayStation Store or Xbox Live Marketplace in order to be able to start the DLC expansion. There's a few steps to this:
- First off, make sure you've got Final Fantasy XV updated to Version 1.18. This is the version that prepares the game to process and understand all the new files Comrades is going to add, plus adds the option to boot into Comrades to the in-game menu.
- Second, and just as important, remember you'll need the FF15 season pass to get this DLC. While you can get the DLC separately, the best and cheapest way is to pick up that season pass. The season pass can be nabbed from Amazon or directly on the PS or Xbox store fronts.
- When you're ready, hit up the stores. Rather than search for FF15 directly, you're better off searching for Comrades specifically by its title, so...
- On PlayStation 4, the download you want is titled "FFXV Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades".
- On Xbox One, the download is instead titled more fully - "FINAL FANTASY XV MULTIPLAYER EXPANSION: COMRADES".
- Run the searches you need to and grab the free download - the Comrades DLC will set you back around 7.5 gigabytes of hard drive space, so be sure to prepare your hard drive and allocate your bandwidth accordingly if you're concerned about data caps.
How to Launch the FF15 Comrades Multiplayer DLC
Just in case you're unsure, once the Comrades DLC is downloaded, simply boot Final Fantasy XV. So long as you've got FF15 upgraded to version 1.18 as mentioned earlier, you'll find Comrades as a new menu option in the DLC menu - that can be accessed from the main menu.
It'll be alongside Episode Gladio and Episode Prompto, and when you launch it you'll basically be booted into a new executable with an all-new start menu. After this you'll be prompted to create your Kingsglaive character - good luck out there in the deadly dark world of Eos!