Maneater sells more than one million units; coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X at launch
Tripwire Interactive has announced that open-world "Shark-PG" Maneater will be available for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X at each console's launch date. Maneater originally released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC this May and has sold more than one million units worldwide. A Nintendo Switch version is set to launch in 2020.
The next-generation version of Maneater will support 4K resolutions at 60 frames-per-second, ray-tracing, HDR, new lighting effects, and DualSense controller support. Those who already own Maneater on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be able to upgrade to the respective next-gen version at no cost. The PC (Epic) version of Maneater will also see these updates sometime in early 2021.
A press release and statement by Tripwire boss John Gibson can be found below.
Maneater is a single player, open-world action-RPG (ShARkPG) where YOU are the shark. Starting as a small bull shark pup you are tasked with surviving the harsh world while eating your way up the ecosystem. To do this, you will explore a large and varied open world encountering diverse enemies -- both human and wildlife. Find the right resources and you can grow and evolve far beyond what nature intended, allowing the player to tailor the shark to their play style. This is fortunate, because to get revenge on the cruel fisherman that dismembered you will take evolving into a massive shark, an apex predator of legends. Eat. Explore. Evolve.
“The Tripwire team has been overwhelmed by the great reception Maneater received since it launched earlier this year, and we can’t wait for players to experience the thrill of playing as a deadly shark in all of her powerful glory on next-gen consoles,” said John Gibson, CEO of Tripwire Interactive. “With next-gen Maneater has never looked better with amazing ray traced water and smooth 4k 60FPS gameplay, but the adventures won’t stop there, as fans can expect even more exciting news about the future of Maneater soon."
Maneater Key Features Include:
- Fully Evolved for Next-Gen Consoles: Gaming’s new queen of the deep will return more powerful than ever in the next generation of gaming. Full utilization of next gen hardware including ray-tracing, native 4K HDR support at a silky smooth 60 FPS, lush new lighting effects, immersive feedback via the PlayStation®5 DualSense controller’s haptic motors, and more will put players in control of the apex predator of the sea like never before.
- Eat: Feed on humans, consume nutrients, and find rare shark loot to evolve past what nature intended.
- Explore the Gulf: Explore seven large regions, including bayous of the gulf coast, resort beaches, industrial docks, the open ocean and more. Experience a living world with a full day/night cycle.
- Evolve Into a Legend: Unlock and equip various Evolutions that improve and enhance your shark as you progress through the campaign.
- Unique Story: Play through a full narrative, story-based campaign narrated by Chris Parnell (Rick and Morty, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) and set against the backdrop of a reality TV show.
- Diverse, Compelling Combat: Battle fierce wildlife including other apex predators or fight against various types of human hunters ranging from town drunks all the way up to the Coast Guard.