Bravely Default II screenshots introduce character cast, locations, and job classes
Square Enix has released new screenshots and information for Bravely Default 2, detailing the main cast of characters, some secondary characters, and a handful of the various job classes available in the game.
(From left to right)
- Seth - A young sailor who drifts to the continent of Excillant and is the main character of this story. Meet Gloria, an exiled princess whose kingdom was robbed of its crystal, and set out on a journey to find the crystal with her.
- Gloria of Musa - The princess of Musa, a country that has watched over the harmony of the world. With the loss of its crystal, the country now seems destined for destruction. Having fallen into despair and gone into hiding, she decides to embark on a journey to retrieve the Crystal.
- Adelle Ein - A mercenary for hire. She travels with Elvis as his bodyguard in search of a grimoire.
- Elvis Lazlow - A scholar who travels the world. Embark on a journey in search of a particular asterisk needed to unravel the last spellbook left by his master.
(From left to right)
- Sloan of the Blue Forest - A swordsman known to be the best of his time in the continent. He used to serve as a loyal retainer of princess Gloria of Musa. But when the country was devastated, both of them escaped safely to Halcyonia.
- Placido Halcyonia - The King of Halcyonia who is deeply trusted by citizens for his just and upright governance. Although he is known to be good militarily, he also has a kindhearted side for sheltering the former princess Gloria—who lost her country—and even helping to restore her country back.
- Vanguard Asterisk Holder: Dag Rampage - A mercenary who forms a tag team with Selene. A reckless and rough man who does anything for money, but he also has the passion to move towards a destination in a straight line. He falls in love with Selene and never disobeys her.
- White Mage Asterisk Holder: Selene Noetic - A calm, cool-headed intellectual woman. She acts together with Dag Rampage. A veteran mercenary who has survived numerous battles while holding good control of Dag, who tends to go ... on a rampage.
Five different kingdoms are spread over the Excillant Continent, which is the setting of the story.
The Land of Spring Breeze: Halcyonia - A scenic country blessed with rich nature under the rule of the heroic King Placido. It became independent from the Kingdom of Musa in the north about 400 years ago. Many people come for the delicacies of the mountains and the sea.
Combat and Job System
Both the Brave/Default system and the job system return from earlier Bravely titles. Brave Points (BP) dictate how many actions a character can use in a single turn. Players can have characters 'Default' to stock up to three additional BP to use in a turn, or characters can 'Brave', to use more than one BP to perform multiple actions. Balancing stockpiling and using BP is a key component in battle strategy.
Additionally, each character can exhibit both a primary and secondary job class, with each job specializing in different abilities. Some example jobs revealed so far include the default Freelancer class, White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Vanguard, Thief, Beastmaster, Gambler, and Bard. Just like in previously Bravely games, you can gain access to more jobs by defeating certain Asterisk holders, such as Dag or Selene, which will unlock their job for anyone on your team to use. Combining various job capabilities across your party is also crucial to battle performance.
- Freelancer: An average job with no specialties. Has abilities that can make the adventure easier and provide cover for your allies.
- Vanguard: Equipped with heavy armor and shields to attract enemy attacks and defend the party.
- White Mage: A recovery class. Can use magic to increase the survival rate of allies, including recovery and assistance.
- Black Mage: An attack class specializing in offensive magic. Can wipe out multiple enemies with powerful magic.
- Monk: A bare-handed attacker. Can strike a powerful blow with fists without relying on weapons.
- Thief: Can steal from enemies exhibiting high evasion and movement speed.
A bunch of screenshots and some models of characters in jobs can be found in the gallery below. Bravely Default II is set to release for Nintendo Switch worldwide on February 26, 2021. In case you missed it, you can check out the recent trailer and screenshots revealed during October's Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase.