Monster Hunter Stories 2 will have 5 updates adding monsters consecutively until October 2021
Capcom premiered a Monster Hunter Stories 2 special pre-launch program, where they revealed more plans for the game after its release next week. While we have previously learned at last month's E3 2021 that the first post-release update will add Monster Hunter Rise's Palamute companion as a new Monstie, the pre-launch program revealed many more additions.
With all four flagship monsters from Monster Hunter Generations (Glavenus, Mizutsune, Gammoth, and Astalos) already confirmed in the initial roster, the launch trailer shown in the program revealed that Capcom will add all four Variants of the aforementioned monsters through post-release updates. The major patches will also add a Rathalos variant, a Kirin sub-species, and rare sub-species of Tigrex, Rathian, and Rathalos.
The launch trailer featured a roadmap of five free updates scheduled until October 2021; it was also shared at the English Monster Hunter Twitter account. The detailed schedule is as follows:
- July 15 - Palamute as a new Monstie
- August 5 - Hellblade Glavenus and Boltreaver Astalos as new Monsties, and Kulve Taroth as a Co-op quest exclusive monster
- Early September - Soulseer Mizutsune, Elderfrost Gammoth, and Oroshi Kirin as new Monsties
- Late September - Dreadking Rathalos and Molten Tigrex as new Monsties, and a high-difficulty Kulve Taroth as a Co-op quest exclusive monster
- October - Silver Rathalos and Gold Rathian as new Monsties, and an unknown high-difficulty Co-op quest exclusive monster
You can find the launch trailer, available in English and Japanese languages, right below. In addition, the English Monster Hunter channel also newly published a new footage showcasing co-op gameplay on the Nintendo Switch version. Just like all other major games on the platform, any online multiplayer features on the Switch full version of MHS2 will require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription.
Japanese Launch Trailer
English Launch Trailer
Co-Op Gameplay Footage
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin will launch simultaneously worldwide for Nintendo Switch and PC via Steam next week on July 9. A demo version of the game is currently available on the Switch; PC players will only be able to try out the demo on the launch day.