Nippon Ichi announces Shikabane-gurai no Bouken Meshi, coming to PS4 and Switch in Japan on January 27, 2022 [Update]
Original (October 2)
Nippon Ichi announced a new strategy RPG at Sega and Atlus' Tokyo Game Show 2021 channel. The game is titled Shikabane-gurai no Bouken Meshi in Japanese, which could be translated to The Corpse Eater's Adventure Food. It will be available for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch in Japan on January 27, 2022.
As implied by the title, this game will have an emphasis on food. Characters in this game are in a state of survival inside dungeons, and they constantly need food to sustain themselves. However, not all food is healthy and beneficial. The characters can gather ingredients and cook them into meals that can improve their parameters. On the contrary, spoiled and rotten food will instead decrease parameters, and characters can also use this to their advantage by feeding enemies with those.
The player will be able to create up to four characters to be placed at the party. Each character can be customized from their body parts, attires, to colors. As with many other Nippon Ichi titles, the characters are being designed by Takehito Harada.
Find the official trailer for Shikabane-gurai no Bouken Meshi right below. This game is so far only announced for Japan, and Nippon Ichi has yet to announce its English localization. The Japanese publisher will reveal more details about this game on October 15.
Update (October 5)
Nippon Ichi Software has shared screenshots and artwork for the newly announced strategy RPG, as well as a few more tidbits regarding its gameplay systems.
- Available jobs for characters range from Swordsman, Chef, to Unemployed (the latter being noted as "somehow having infinite possibilities").
- After the initial character creation, you can change their visuals by using items crafted in-game. Eight character art examples can be seen in the below gallery, with sword, bow, spear, and axe users of each gender.
- The player character can move freely while gathering materials on the map. However, once you encounter a monster, the gameplay will then move to NIS's more expected turn-based strategy with speed stat-based turn orders.
- The player needs to keep an eye on the characters' calorie and fluid levels because they will constantly deplete from activities and need to be replenished by eating food. Eating food can also raise stats temporarily.
- Characters can set up camp after finishing a floor. They can do things like cooking meals or upgrading weapons.
- The game will have over 50 recipes. Characters with higher cooking skill levels will make better meals.
- Ingredients & meals will also have freshness & expiry gauges, so they'd eventually spoil if left unused for a long time
The new screenshots and artwork can be seen in the gallery below. The official website is here.