Yomawari 3 screenshots detail story, gameplay, spirits, memories and more
An extended teaser trailer has also been posted. Both the trailer and gameplay details can be found below. Thanks to Gematsu for the translations.
Yomawari 3 is set to release on April 21 in Japan for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. An English localization has not been announced.
The protagonist woke up in an unfamiliar, dark forest.
She did not know how she ended up there.
She can only remember that she went to the school rooftop around sunset after school.
As she wanders around in the thick forest, she meets a mysterious figure with no form.
“A strong curse has been placed upon you,” that person told her in a somewhat familiar voice.
“You must remember something important which you have forgotten” by the end of the night in order to break the curse, the person said.
In search of those important memories, the protagonist ran off into the eerie town at night.
Track Down Lost Memories
Yomawari 3 is a nighttime exploration action game.
The young protagonist wanders into town at night in search of “memories” that act as clues to break her curse.
Frightening “spirits” lurk in the town’s darkness. Rely on your flashlight and heartbeat to escape the spirits and track down your lost memories.
Guided by a Faint Light
The protagonist has only the flashlight in her hand to rely on. By shining the light in the darkness, she can uncover “dropped items” that will help in her search for memories, as well as see the spirits that maliciously approach her.
- Shine your flashlight to find hidden items.
- Your flashlight is all you can rely on in the town at night. Light up your surroundings to make sure there are not any spirits approaching.
Spirits Lurk in the Darkness of the Night
Eerie, frightening spirits lurk in the empty town at night. They stare at the protagonist from the darkness of the night, beneath the flickering streetlights and upon narrow streets where the light does not reach.
Light them up with your flashlight, throw rocks to distract them, and escape the spirit’s pursuit in a variety of ways.
- If you spot a spirit, run away from that area.
- The protagonist can only run a for a limited amount of time. She cannot keep running forever.
“Close Your Eyes” to Hide from the Spirits
By closing your eyes, your presence disappears and the spirits will lose sight of you. Sometimes stopping, closing your eyes, and hiding may be the only way to escape the fear.
However, even with your eyes closed, the spirit is still there. Keep your eyes closed, keep distant from spirits, and escape to a safe place.
- When you close your eyes, spirits will lose sight of you. When a spirit is approaching, close your eyes to create an opportunity to escape.
- When you close your eyes, spirits will no longer approach you, but the spirit’s location will be covered by a red fog. Move carefully as not to touch the red fog.
Important Forgotten “Memories”
The protagonist’s goal is to remember the memories she has forgotten and find a way to break her curse. Find “what she lost” somewhere in town to recall scenes that she had forgotten.
- You can look back on memories when you return home. Use your memories to find a way to break the curse.
- Recall the events of the past via the “things you lost” that you obtain. There must be hints within them to break the curse.
- After you recall a memory once, you can see them again at anytime back at your house.
Walk through the Vast Town at Night
Haunted areas are scattered throughout the night town. Each of these places can be visited at any time.
From a school in the dead of night, a rural town with terraced rice fields, a doll house in a bamboo forest, and so on, you can visit various locations where related spirits lurk and lost memories are hidden. Head out into the eerie, somewhat familiar night town in search of your forgotten memories.