Octopath Traveler II introduces Partitio and Osvald with new details, screenshots, and a Character Trailer
Square Enix has shared the first character trailer for Octopath Traveler II that focuses on two of the new eight protagonists - Partitio, the Merchant, and Osvald, the Scholar. The new 5-minute trailer provide a glimpse of who the characters are and what circumstances they find themselves in.
After witnessing the rise and fall of his home town, Partitio finds himself on a journey to expand his abilities as a salesman across the land. He possesses the ability to purchase items from townspeople and hire people to join his party as a guest. Partitio can also receive discounts from Business Partners.
On the other hand, Osvald's premise is far more grim. He has been sentenced to life in prison after being accused for murdering his wife and daughter. When players first take control of him, he has been behind bars for 1,879 days already. Much of his story initially revolves around daily life in prison. Osvald possesses the ability to scrutinize people to glean information and fight against townspeople to claim their belongings; his Study Foe ability allows him to identify enemy weaknesses in combat. His journey is filled with revenge as he seeks out the individual that framed him for the tragic murder of his family.
Several Latent Powers were shown at the end of the new trailer too. Osvald's Latent Power is Concentrate Spells, which focuses magic spells on a single foe with greater potency. Agnea's Latent Power is All Together Now, which extends the reach of single-target skills to apply to everyone instead. Partitio's Latent Power is Hoot and Holler, which provides the handy effect of instantly replenishing BP.
Octopath Traveler II launches on February 24, 2023, for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam). Find the new trailer, details, and screenshots down below, via Square Enix.
In case you missed it, you can check out previously released details on the first two travelers introduced - Hikari and Agnea.
English Osvald & Partitio Character Trailer
Japanese Osvald & Partitio Character Trailer
Characters - Partitio Yellowil
"I'll be back once I eliminate that devil called poverty from the world!"
JP Voice: Kazuya Nakai
EN Voice: Jas Patrick
Your name is Partitio Yellowil, and you are a merchant. Your tale begins in the vast wastes of the Wildlands. After witnessing the rise and fall of the pioneer town you call home, you set your gaze upon the horizon. With dreams of bringing prosperity to all, you embark on a journey with only the scent of commerce to guide you...
Characters in Partitio's Tale
- Papp (JP: Mitsuki Nakamura; EN: Keith Silverstein): Partitio’sfather, and the man who taught him all he knows about commerce. He came to this barren land 16 years ago and helped build Oresrush from the ground up
- Roque (JP: Takaya Hashi; EN: Richard Tatum) Papp’s business partner. He and Papp purchased a promising plot of land, anticipating it would be rich in silver. It has since bloomed into the town of Oresrush. Partitio admires him for being a pioneer in business.
- Ori (JP: Fairouz Ai; EN: Jeannie Tirado): A scrivener for the Delsta Times who travels the world looking for the latest scoop. Partitio’s actions have caught her eye, and she seemingly appears out of thin air to get all the juicy details.
Partitio's Adventure Begins in The Wildlands
Northwest Solistia is a barren wasteland—a blasted expanse of volcanic rock that resists even the loneliest blade of grass. The few brave souls who eke out their existence here have long suffered the sulfuric whims of Fiatsuro and its unstable neighbors. But life always finds a way. Among the rock and stone dwell the golt, an unusually large breed of goat who subsist on a meager fare of local weed. The cheese produced from their milk is especially scrumptious, and has become a local specialty. The volcanic soil conceals a wealth of valuable minerals. Many small mining towns have sprung up here, including the southern town of Oresrush, established by silver merchants Papp and Roque.
Partitio's Path Actions
- Purchase (Day): Obtain items from people. You must have enough money to purchase their belongings. The more valuable the item, the higher the price. Put your business prowess to the test.
- Hire (Night): Bring people along on your journey. You must have enough money to hire someone. Hired helpers can be summoned during battle to provide aid. Different people provide different benefits. Use your funds wisely to hire a variety of helpers
Partitio's Talent - Business Partners
Depending on who you have hired, you might receive benefits in business and battle. You could be granted a discount when shopping, receive more leaves when selling items, pay less when using certain skills in battle, and more.
- Some partners can negotiate a discount when purchasing. Others give you a chance to get items for free...
- Merchants can use Hired Help to summon mercenaries into battle. Your partner may be able to lower the mercenary’s cost.
Partitio's Latent Power - Hoot and Holler
When his latent power gauge is full, Partitio can fully and instantly replenish a party member’s BP to turn the tide of battle.
- Partitio’s latent power can replenish all BP in an instant, whether at the onset of battle or immediately after exhausting all points.
- Use BP however you see fit. The merchant ability Donate BP also allows you to grant BP to allies.
Characters - Osvald V. Vanstein
"Harvey—the man who took everything from me— shall die by my hand. I swear it."
JP Voice: Jouji Nakata
EN Voice: Alejandro Saab
Your name is Osvald V. Vanstein, and you are a scholar. Your tale begins in the snowswept reaches of the Winterlands. You have been sentenced to life in prison for murdering your wife and daughter, and have since spent 1,879 days locked within a frigid cell. Not even the bitter cold can extinguish the raging fire in your breast. And so you set out to exact your revenge...
Characters in Osvald's Tale
- Harvey (JP: Takehito Koyasu; EN: Craig Lee Thomas): A scholar of magic who is on par with Osvald. He continues his research into the seventh source of magic, which differs from the six known elements of fire, ice, lightning, wind, light, and darkness.
- Emerald (JP: Eiji Takeuchi; EN: Andy Barnett): A fellow prisoner of Osvald’s on Frigit Isle. He leverages his knowledge as an informant to help Osvald escape.
- Lady Clarissa (JP: Yoko Soumi; EN: Leigha Horton): Osvald’s research assistant. She believes that Osvald is innocent and watches over his study in his absence.
Osvald's Adventure Begins in The Winterlands
Northern Solistia is a frozen place of snow and ice. Its capital is Stormhail, a mountainous city that houses the Sacred Guard. Established roughly 380 years ago, the Sacred Guard was the brainchild of Archbishop Kinchler. After the cold snap that assailed the eastern continent in the previous century, the order established its headquarters here. To this day, this holy organization's mission remains unchanged: to uphold law and order across the continent. Travel towards the coast, and you will find the fishing town of Cape Cold. Great hauls of salmon, trout, mackerel, squid, and more are brought in almost daily. In addition, many who dwell here work in agriculture or textiles, and lately, a hardy species of cold-resistant barley has caused quite a stir.
Osvald's Path Actions
- Scrutinize (Day): Glean information from people (with a given probability). Fail, and your reputation in town will suffer. You won’t be able to use Path Actions if your reputation suffers. Raise Osvald’s level to increase his chances of success.
- Mug (Night): Obtain items from people. You must best them in battle to get the spoils you seek. Mug someone to commence the battle. Emerge victorious, and you can take all their belongings.
Osvald's Talent - Study Foe
Osvald can gain insight into one of a foe’s weak points at the start of battle.
- Osvald will automatically use Study Foe when the battle begins. Knowing an enemy’s weakness is invaluable when strategizing.
- Utilize scholarly spells to exploit enemy weaknesses and break foes.
Osvald's Latent Power - Concentrate Spells
When his latent power gauge is full, Osvald can focus spells that usually target all foes onto a single target with increased potency. Boosting can further enhance this magical might.
- Many of Osvald’s magic skills target all foes. His latent power allows you to deal heavy damage to bosses and other powerful enemies.
Crossed Paths - Osvald and Partitio
This installment includes Crossed Paths, which are stories involving two travelers.
Osvald and Partitio come across a man who has collapsed on the street. He turns out to be an old friend of Osvald’s and an Astronomer. Intrigued by his story, the two eventually find themselves embroiled in his troubles...
Travel on the Water
In this installment, you can board canoes to explore towns and caverns like never before. Traverse both land and sea to venture to every corner of the realm.
- You can board a canoe to explore towns, dungeons, and more. What treasures await on the realm’s isolated isles?
- Enjoy the nautical journey, but beware of enemies lurking beneath the water’s surface.
A Vessel All Your Own
Advance through the story, and you can obtain your own nautical vessel. Use it to journey between continents, or chart your own course out to sea and disembark on unexplored islands. The world is yours to explore.
- You can choose your vessel’s color and sail emblem.
- There are places only your vessel can reach, like mysterious islands and sunken ships.