Narrative-driven racing RPG Resistor announced for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC
During the Future Games Show Summer Showcase 2023, PQube and Long Way Home revealed Resistor, a turbocharged narrative-driven racing RPG set to release for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam, Epic).
An announcement trailer, details, and screenshots can be found below, via PQube.
PQube and developer Long Way Home are excited to announce turbocharged narrative-driven adventure RPG 'Resistor' is coming to Steam, Epic Games, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and Nintendo Switch!
Experience stunt-infused racing with open world exploration and explosive vehicular combat! Build up your team and unravel a twisting story as you compete to take down an oppressive mega-corporation and its enigmatic director.
- A vividly imagined open world – Hit the road and traverse sun-scorched desert wastes in your vehicle or disembark to explore dusty outposts and urban sprawls.
- Race in high-octane tournaments – Compete with your teammates in high-stakes contests featuring explosive vehicular combat and gravity-defying stunts.
- Experience an expansive story – Accept missions from a huge cast of characters to boost your reputation, unlock additional story arcs, and multiple endings.
- Take down challenging bosses – Go head-to-head with your biggest rivals in winner-takes-all showdowns to unlock new car abilities.
- Expand your territory – Capitalise on your growing reputation to improve your base and develop areas of the map under your influence to reach new locations.
- Lead the ultimate racing team – Recruit teammates and manage relationships within your fledgling crew. Develop affinity and unlock bonuses to aid you in your races.
- Extensive customisation – Collect outfits, vehicle parts, music themes, and more! Visit your garage to customise almost every aspect of your driver and ride.
- Introducing Long Way Home - A new UK-based developer of industry veterans with previous experience on AAA game changers such as Mass Effect Trilogy, Star Wars: The Old Republic & Days Gone
- Resistor is coming to Steam, Epic Games, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S & Nintendo Switch!
The Story So Far
In the year 2060 the world’s governments have long since destroyed one another and in their place stand self-contained city states presided over by a league of powerful corporations. Within the walls of these dense urban metropolises, citizens enjoy a life of comfort and excess, far removed from the harsh realities of the scattered communities that scrape a living in the endless desert wastes of the outside world.
To remain “competitive but friendly”, the corporations take turns hosting an annual racing tournament for the masses setting the finest teams, and bravest challengers, against one another in a series of exhilarating, high-speed death races. The ultimate prize? A one-way ticket to permanent citizenship, and a better life, inside the cities.
Play as Aster, the only living child of the last great racer, who enters this year’s event sponsored by Dekker Industries with the goal of securing the vital healthcare needed to save their ailing mother. However, as the tournament unfolds, Aster soon realises that life beneath the glossy veneer of Ethan Dekker’s corporate utopia might not be as idyllic as it initially seems, and a race for the podium soon becomes a war to overthrow his oppressive regime.
Lowlifes in High Places
As one of the seven great corporations, tech giant Dekker Industries can trace its lineage back to the old days of the now defunct oil industry. The company currently oversees the activities of many subsidiaries within the confines of its steel-clad bastion, including the famous Diamond Motors. Its figurehead, Ethan Dekker (voiced by Mark Meer) is a consummate showman, and self-proclaimed ‘man of the people’, who relishes the prestige of hosting this year’s racing tournament. Yet behind his warm words and charismatic persona, lies the cold heart of a shrewd and ruthless businessman.
Start Your Plasma-Engines
The annual racing tournament was initially conceptualised by the corporations as a means to remain ‘competitive but friendly’ with one another, with each individual city-state taking turns to host an annual event across a seven-year cycle. In reality, the violent races act as mindless entertainment to ensure that the masses remain suitably pacified.
With fossil fuels long extinct, racers utilise plasma-based engine technology to supercharge their rides and achieve blistering speeds. At the start of each race, sponsors provide racers with a limited quota of electrical energy, but never enough to see them across the finish line. To encourage ‘competitive racing’ cars are fitted with energy-sapping discs that draw electricity from scattered pylons, and the wreckage of incapacitated racers.
Grow Your Entourage
Aster inherits their father’s legendary custom STAGNUM, and enters Dekker’s tournament alongside childhood friend (and all-round racing superfan), Quin who acts as their first teammate in the early stages of the competition. As Aster rises through the rankings they will encounter a huge cast of characters and racers to recruit to their cause. Among these is the mysterious collector, a hermit who possesses forbidden knowledge of the ‘old days’ and is drawn to Aster by their uncannily familiar racing talents.