Nightdive Studios reveals gameplay trailer for System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition
During the Indie Horror Showcase 2023, Nightdive Studios released a new trailer and information for System Shock 2: Enhance Edition. The remastered sci-fi horror FPS-RPG is set to release 'in the near future' for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC (Steam, GOG).
The trailer, details, and screenshots can be found below, via Nightdive Studios.
Today, at The Indie Horror Showcase, Nightdive Studios released a fresh look at System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition — its remaster of the 1999 classic sci-fi horror action role-playing game, System Shock 2. The series antagonist, the malevolent rogue AI SHODAN, is back and better than ever.
Nightdive Studios has taken its restorative talents to a game that many consider one of the best first-person shooters of all time. Like its remastered predecessor, System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition has been rebuilt for modern platforms using Nightdive Studios’ proprietary KEX Engine, offering players the definitive System Shock 2 experience with improved visuals, enhanced gameplay, and vastly improved performance (up to 4K 120 FPS).
System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition is not only the most visually impressive version of the title to date, it will also be the most stable, as numerous bugs in the original PC game have been fixed. System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition will additionally include upgrades to the game’s beloved co-op multiplayer mode and officially support fan-made content. Every aspect of the game has been refined to provide the best possible experience for new fans as well as veterans.
System Shock 2 revolutionized storytelling, atmosphere, and gameplay in the medium, inspiring a generation of titles to follow. It completely reshaped the way gaming audiences viewed the potential for storytelling in first-person games and went on to win over a dozen awards and “Game of The Year” recognitions.
Set 42 years after the events of the first System Shock, SHODAN and her army of merciless mutants infest the starship Von Braun. Players embody a soldier who awakes from cryo-sleep with cybernetic implants grafted to his flesh. As he sets out to unravel the horrifying mystery of the derelict starship, he’ll need to hone his upgradable soldier skills and utilize powerful weapons and paranormal psionic abilities to survive the monstrous creations of SHODAN — and endure her narcissistic god complex.
System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition Key Features
- Unknowable Horrors, In High Definition: Completely remastered visuals, extending to cutscenes and character and weapons models, with up to 4K 120 FPS support on Windows PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S
- Might As Well Make Your Death Comfortable: The game includes settings for an adjustable FOV, post-processing effects, and widescreen support
- Misery Loves Company: Drag your friends into the hell that is the Von Braun starship in co-op multiplayer
- Interface This: Play from the comfort of your couch with gamepad support, then celebrate with an ice-cold medical stim when you unlock new Trophies and Achievements
- If You Want Something Done Right: Full mod support on PC and the ability to implement community-made missions at launch
System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition will be released on Windows PC via Steam and GOG and on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S in the near future. Those who pre-ordered this year’s System Shock remake on Steam and GOG will receive System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition for free.