Sandbox CRPG Unforetold: Witchstone launches for Steam Early Access on January 25, 2024
During the PC Gaming Show: Most Wanted 2023 live stream event, Spearhead Games (Omensight, Stories: The Path of Destinies) has announced that Unforetold: Witchstone will launch for Steam Early Access on January 25, 2024.
We previously covered Unforetold: Witchstone when it was simply known as Project Witchstone all the way back in 2019. News on game development progress had gone radio silent for a few years, but the development team started posting regular updates on Steam earlier in 2023. Witchstone's key component looks to be its so-called 'reactive influence system' which promises to shape the game around the player's actions.
An Early Access release date trailer, description, and some screenshots can be found below.
Spearhead Games today announced Unforetold: Witchstone is releasing to Steam Early Access on January 25, 2024, for $34.99. Unforetold: Witchstone, formerly known as Project Witchstone, combines CRPG gameplay with sandbox features including a deep, reactive influence system that allows players to shape the fate of the world around them.
“Unforetold: Witchstone has been a passion project of ours and has been in the works for some time now,” said Malik Boukhira, Creative Director, Spearhead Games. “We’re excited for players to jump into early access and experience the depth and richness the game has to offer. Our Influence System really adds another layer of freedom and creativity while recreating the tabletop RPG experience that gives players more control of their choices and the way they want to play, where their decisions and interactions really affect the world around them. We hope to see players join us on January 25 in Steam Early Access and look forward to their feedback and support.”
- Actions Have Consequences - Kalsundia is alive. Its inhabitants act, and react, with purpose. They own properties, have unique personalities, befriend some, and make enemies of others. They have likes and dislikes, and can form an appreciation of – or disdain for – factions, individuals, and you. How you interact with them builds your bespoke world and tells your unique story.
- Choices Shape Destiny - The consequences of your actions are both far-reaching and powerful. With each opportunity, you may sow the seeds of chaos, unite people against tyranny, become a conqueror, and more. As choices are made, your influence spreads across the world and dynamically changes not only how you are perceived, but how people and factions perceive and interact with each other. Everything eventually culminates into one final fate for Kalsundia.
- Comprehensive Customization - Unleash your creativity with deep character creation systems inspired by tabletop RPGs. Customize your appearance, abilities, and backstory.
- Gather Your Party - Set out and recruit others in Kalsundia who align with your goals. Unlike most RPGs, there is no limitation to who you can recruit, but keep in mind that everyone has their own desires and might not be willing to do things that are against their nature.
- Find Your Path - Roll for initiative and carefully plan your moves in a CRPG turn-based combat system where the execution of precise tactics emboldens you to emerge victorious from each battle. Or, embrace the art of subterfuge with stealth systems, mastering the shadows to manipulate your surroundings and achieve your objectives undetected.
About Unforetold: Witchstone
Experience the living, reactive lands of Kalsundia through unprecedented options to roleplay your character, influence others and set your own goals. Each choice along your journey feeds into a non-linear narrative system that changes relationships and outcomes dynamically. Gone are the days of laborious quest chains as you enter into a freer world of milestones and opportunities where you choose who to help, what to do, and what you aim to achieve. Backed by classic turn-based combat and stealth systems, and steeped in a universe from the mind of Ed Greenwood, creator of the Forgotten Realms – you are invited to shape the fate of the world.