A first look at Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age's PC Port
We had some time to look at Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age's PC port over the last couple days. We already knew that the 2017 remaster was truly a treat for western fans especially, but we were definitely eager to see what was new and exciting for the souped-up PC release of the classic JRPG.
What's new with Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age's PC Port
Not only did The Zodiac Age finally bring the long-awaited additions from Final Fantasy XIIs International Zodiac Job System to western shores, but it also brought with it a share of improvements such as the ability to overlay the minimap by toggling the left analog stick and the inclusion of a turbo mode.
The PC edition of The Zodiac Age also, obviously, includes these additions as well. But it comes with a few other small little bonuses on top of that. Here's what they are:
- 60fps Mode: The most notable and clearly obvious change with Zodiac Age's PC version is the 60fps frame rate cap. Last year's Playstation 4 version of the game was sadly locked to only 30fps - even on a PS4 Pro. Finally, we now have an official way to play Final Fantasy XII at the higher framerate.
- Three Soundtrack Selections: The PS4 release of The Zodiac Age included both the original and remastered soundtracks for the game, where the third soundtrack 'OST' containing cd quality remasters was originally only available to steelbook preorders of the console version. They are included here in the PC release as well.
- New Game + and New Game -: These are no longer locked behind completion of the game and can be selected for a first playthrough as well.
- Max Gil and Max License Point Cheats: Located at the bottom of the config menu in game are cheat options for obtaining maximum Gil and LP, similar to the 'cheats' added to other Final Fantasy PC releases.
- Full Keyboard Support: The PC version allows for full customization of keyboard button mapping. Oddly enough, while the game supports full button remapping for keyboards, controller users can only swap between Japanese and Western-style confirm/cancel options.
We have lots of guides at the game's hub page for the best job options for characters, all missable items, and more for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, and stay tuned for a full review looking at the options and performance of the PC version in the coming days.