A new patch was released today for the much maligned PC port of Chrono Trigger. The game has already received a couple updates to make the Battle UI look more like its console counterparts as well as allow for the original graphics style, but today's update furthers that focus with changes to the UI on the world map and in towns, shops, and dungeons. We think it looks pretty great.
The team also mentions that a fourth update will focus on further UI changes, as well as the ability to remap button on both keyboard as well as with controllers. The original release of Chrono Trigger's Steam Port was largely criticized, but we're happy to see the feedback taken to heart.
Here's the full list of fixes for today's update.:
- The UI has been further updated for those using a controller or keyboard in a number of areas:
- Whilst moving on the world map, in towns and in dungeons.
- How options in dialog are displayed.
- Shop screens.
- Whilst selecting a time period to visit.
- In mini-games too.
- Improvements have been made to battles
- You can now flip between pages within menus with single button presses.
- Available techs are immediately updated when recovering MP.
- The duration the explanation window is shown at the top of the screen has been extended.
- Changes have been made to the priority for which information is shown first when there are multiple messages in explanation windows.
- A bug where some controls would still respond while the game is paused in battle has been fixed.
- Following the last update, we’ve continued to improve gameplay speed in areas where it previously slowed down.
- The difficulty has been made more forgiving in specific mini games during story events.
- Controller input is now disabled when the game is not active.
- Additional minor bug fixes.