When Focus Home Interactive and Spiders revealed Greedfall back in early 2017, we were intrigued with the apparent blend of a colonial aesthetic and supernatural elements, but the studio had been mostly absent on this title since then. At this year's E3 expo, we finally get a second look at this upcoming RPG with a new cinematic trailer.
Spiders has also updated the official website for Greedfall, giving a general overview of the game's components such as its story, setting, and RPG elements. One key element to Greedfall is that of diplomacy, in which six different factions inhabit the remote island with various objectives that may come into conflict.
Decisions made in the game will affect with factions the player will align with, which companions may join you, and also which characters you might be able to romance.
- The Congregation of Merchants: A trading Nation ruled by prince merchants. They use their vast riches to gather power and increase their wealth.
- The Bridge Alliance: Always seeking to learn more about the world and those around them, this nation believes science can explain everything and knowledge is power.
- The Coin Guard: The main guild of mercenaries on the old continent. Military companies, bodyguards, paid assassins, combat instructors… they are hired by all the nations and important persons for their combat skills.
- Thélème: A nation where magic users represent both religious and political power. Their mission is to preach the good word and convert the Islanders to their monotheist religion.
- The Nauts: The only guild of navigators that can cross the high sea. They prosper thanks to their travels, helping other factions to cross the waves.
- Islanders/Teer Fradean (Yecht Fradí in native language): They are native to the island of Teer Fradee. They are not a united faction, but all of them live in harmony with Nature, which they consider sacred. Some of them seem to have an even deeper, physical link to their environment, able to use elemental magic or to call for creatures. With colonization of the island underway, they must choose to be friend or foe to the new arrivals.
Greedfall is set to release in 2019 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.