After announcing a new game in the Sakura Wars series last April, today during the opening ceremony for SegaFES 2019, Sega has formally revealed Shin Sakura Taisen for PlayStation 4. The game is set to release this Winter in Japan. The official website has also been opened.
Shin Sakura Taisen is set 12 years after 2005's Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love in an alternate past of Taisho 29, or about 1941. Character designs were made by Tite Kubo, most known as the creator of the Shonen Jump series Bleach. The story structure is being handled by Jiro Ishii, the writer of 428: Shibuya Scramble. Kohei Tanaka, who has worked on previous Sakura Wars titles, returns as the composer.
Soon after the Japanese presentation, Sega America has announced that Shin Sakura Taisen will release in North America and Europe in Spring 2020. The game has not been given an official English title yet, and is currently referred to as Project Sakura Wars. The official English website can be found here.
Find an overview, trailer, and screenshot set below.
The stage is set in a romanticized version of 1940s Imperial Tokyo. 10 years ago, a cataclysm resulted in the devastating loss of the Imperial Combat Revue of Tokyo, the capital's global defense force operating out of the Imperial Theater. The theater has since fallen on hard times and risks closure. As captain of the new Tokyo revue, it's up to you to mend the hearts of your troops and restore the Imperial Theater back to its former glory!
With its strong emphasis on character-driven storytelling and relationship building, fans will find plenty to love with Project Sakura Wars!
Project Sakura Wars Features:
- The Most Immersive Story Yet--During your adventure, you will be able to interact with a colorful cast of characters through the dynamic LIPS dialogue system, where what you say and how you say it has a profound impact on these relationships both off and on the battlefield.
- A Rewarding Battle System--Armed with powerful mechs known as "spiricle armor," the gameplay is augmented by a deep and robust combat system that takes full advantage of each squad member's unique abilities.
- An Eye-catching Anime Production--Complete with gorgeous animated sequences and dramatic character arcs, the story will leave you hungry for what happens next.
Project Sakura Wars will feature Japanese voice acting with subtitles in English, German, French, and Spanish. The official teaser site is now available at games.sega.com/sakurawars/.
Project Sakura Wars Characters
From left to right. Thanks to our friends at Gematsu for the translations. Official English names/spellings for the localization are yet to be revealed.
- Clarice (CV: Saori Hayami) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 16 years-old. She is from Luxembourg. She is a literary and sweet girl who loves reading books. Through books, she is learning various things each day and is filled to the brim with curiosity. Her full name is Clarissa Snowflake. She is the successor of the “Juumadou” black magic, which utilizes books, passed down in the noble Snowflake family of Luxembourg.
- Hatsuho Shinonome (CV: Maaya Uchida) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 17 years-old. A shrine maiden of the Shinonome Shrine, passed down from generation to generation in the Imperial Capital. Born in Shitamachi, she is a pure woman of Edo who loves Shitamachi, festivals, and the people of the town. While she usually comes off as rude, she is a mediator reliable to everyone in the Floral Division.
- Seijuro Kamiyama (CV:Yohei Azakami) - The protagonist of New Sakura Wars. The leader of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 20 years-old. He originally served as a special service ship captain in the navy, but was reassigned to the Imperial Combat Revue, where he was appointed the commanding officer of the reborn “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.”
- Sakura Amamiya (CV: Ayane Sakura) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 17 years-old. She admires Sakura Shinguuji, the top star of the former Floral Division, and enlists in the Floral Division as a novice member. She has strong feelings for the Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division that protects Tokyo, as well as the Imperial Opera Troupe that boosts the citizens’ spirits, and greatly desires the reconstruction of both sides.
- Azami Mochizuki (CV: Hibiku Yamamura) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 13 years-old. The descendant of a ninja family that practice in the Mochizuki Style, she is a young prodigy that has mastered martial arts, tactics, weaponry, and more. Since before she could even perceive the world, she had a strict upbringing, and strongly believes in the “108 Laws” passed down from the ancient ninja village. Protecting those laws are of great importance to her.
- Anastasia Palma (CV: Ayaka Fukuhara) - A member of the “Imperial Combat Revue: Floral Division.” 19 years-old. A star who played an active role in European theater. She wandered from troupe to troupe before joining the Imperial Combat Revue. Her singing and acting talents are top class, and given her looks, she can handle a wide range of roles, from men roles to sexy women roles.