Torchlight III is now available on Steam Early Access
During today's PC Gaming Show, Perfect World Entertainment announced that Torchlight III is now available via Steam Early Access, along with sharing a new trailer and some screenshots for the upcoming class-based ARPG.
The game is available on Steam now for $29.99. Those who support the game during Early Access will also be able to experience new game content, a new act, as well as any quality of life improvements as development continues.
Torchlight III was originally announced as Torchlight Frontiers, a shared-world title with real-world money purchases, before changing course and rebranding as a premium standard RPG in January. Over the last year we've gotten trailers for the four playable classes as well as details on the Fort system.
A new trailer along with a new key artwork and a smattering of screenshots also accompanied the Early Access release, which we have gathered below:
Here is a developer FAQ about the Early Access release, as listed on the Steam page. Note that the game does not currently support single-player offline play:
Why Early Access?“Community is extremely important to Echtra Games and we believe Early Access is a unique opportunity to learn from our players what changes are the most important to them before proceeding to fully launch the game later this year.”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?“While we do not have an exact date for launch, Early Access will last at least a few months while we refine the game further and add new features and end game content.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?“The full version will contain a complete Act 3, which will be released and tested by the community during Early Access. A new, not-yet-announced end game experience will also be released during Early Access so that it can be thoroughly tested by the community before its inclusion into the full version. The full version will also contain the ability to play the game in Single Player mode, which will not require an internet connection.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?“Early Access will begin with 4 playable classes, 2 complete Acts, dozens of quests, a player-created custom Fort feature (complete with enchanting, resource refining, and storage), over 100 Legendary items, and a myriad of weapons, areas, and boss battles.
Early Access is only available in Multiplayer mode. Players will be able to play in groups of four and share certain public spaces in the game (like towns) with other players - up to 40 per instance.
During Early Access we will unlock additional content, including the entirety of Act 3, a new end game experience, and other quality-of-life updates and feature improvements. There are some known bugs, but most reported issues do not prevent fully playing the game and will be part of where our focus lies in Early Access.
What is the ESRB of this game? How family friendly is this game?
The game is rated T for Teen. There are options to turn off voice chat and blood FX in the settings menu.
Will there be a wipe?
Yes. At the end of Early Access there will be a wipe so that we can continue to aggressively test new features and bug fixes. Players who purchase the Early Access version will retain their copy of the game - this will be an account/character wipe only.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?“Players in Early Access will have the opportunity to purchase the retail copy of the game for less than those who purchase it on its launch day.
Players who have purchased the Early Access version will not have to purchase the game again at launch.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“Our team at Echtra is dedicated to involving our community throughout Early Access and beyond. Community has already been critical during our Closed Beta process and we will continue to improve upon the activities we have currently established.
Lastly, here are some further details about the game from Perfect World:
Set in the same universe from Torchlight I & II, Torchlight III for Early Access features all of the franchise’s signature gameplay mechanics, including satisfying hack and slash combat, epic loot drops and a unique pet system that captured the hearts of ARPG fans around the world. The return of the iconic franchise also introduces new features, including fully customizable forts that allow adventurers to leave their personal mark on the world. Over the course of the game being in Early Access, additional features, game content, including a new act, and quality-of-life improvements will also be added via periodic updates.Advertisement. Keep scrolling for more
In Torchlight III, it’s been a century since the events of Torchlight II, and the Ember Empire is in decline. Novastraia is again under threat of invasion against the Netherim and its allies. To defeat the Netherim threat, adventurers must choose to party up with three fellow adventurers via online cooperative multiplayer or venture alone to fight their way to find fame, glory and new adventures through a vibrant world filled with hordes of dangerous creatures waiting at every turn.
Torchlight III Early Access game features include:
- Travel the Frontier: Players can explore the wilderness, party with friends, gather materials to craft loot, or show off their spoils in town! There’s always something to do in the new frontier.
- Build & Upgrade Your Fort: It’s time to rebuild! Players will enjoy their very own account-based fort, where they can upgrade gear, and make renovations to show it off to their friends and the world. The game allows them to build monuments of power, pet stables, and more!
- Choose a Relic: Relics are objects of great power that grant players a suite of active skills and passive skills. Players can craft them, level them up and store them in their fort. The relic is an important part of a character's strategy - choose wisely!
- Collect Epic Gear: Whether it's armor, weapons, recipes, ember cores, or even new pets ... there's always more to find as adventurers battle through dungeons and take on dangerous foes. Every randomly-generated area can be replayed over and over again since each instance brings different items.
- Pets are Back: Players can fight their way to fame and glory with loyal companions! Each of the many species comes in a myriad of colors and styles so adventurers shouldn’t settle for the first one they find. They can also make these pets stronger by adding skills, equip them with gear to make them hardier, and together battle enemies as a team.
- Build Your Hero: With four classes to choose from, players can utilize class-specific mechanics to maximize damage and their odds of survival. Torchlight III lets them gather epic gear, select your Relic powers, and customize loadouts to create a unique combat style for their heroes.
Torchlight III features four diverse hero classes with unique abilities and powers:
- The Dusk Mage is an enchanter who harnesses the power of light and dark energy to conjure devastating attacks.
- The Forged is a powerful robot who relies on an arsenal of weaponry to build up heat and unleash explosive assaults.
- The Railmaster is a locomotive savvy powerhouse who steams into combat with a massive hammer and heavily armed battle train.
- The Sharpshooter is a powerful and nimble ranged character who uses incredible skill with ranged weapons and magical trinkets to take on enemies from afar.