Dragon Quest VIII 3DS Guide: How to Unlock all the Costumes
The Nintendo 3DS port of Dragon Quest VIII includes quite a number of changes and additions, including some new costumes for each character of the cast. In the original PS2 release, only Hero and Jessica had alternate outfits. Here we outline all the outfits available and how to obtain them.
Each outfit requires the character to equip one or more specific pieces of armor. All pieces in a set are required for the outfit to appear on the character model.
You need the Dragovian Armour and the Dragovian Helm, which are obtained through the Dragovian Trials during the post-game.
- Metal King Armour - Alchemy (Liquid Metal Armour + Orichalcum + Slime Crown). A Slime Crown can be found at Hilltop Hut and Tyran Gully. Liquid Metal Armor can be purchased at Baccarat Casino.
- Metal King Helm - 90 Mini Medal reward from Princess Minnie
- Metal King Shield - Alchemy (Orichalcum + Ruinous Shield + Saint's Ashes). The Ruinous Shield is available on Godbird accessible section of the Northwest Isle.
- Gothic Mitre - Buy at Baccarat Casino for 25000 coins
- Gothic Vestment - Photo Quest reward
- Dogsbody's Vest - Alchemy (Bandit Mail + Plain Clothes + Coral Hairpin). Bandit Mail purchased at Empycchu. Plain Clothes purchased at Farebury. Coral Hairpin purchased at Baccarat.
- Dogsbody's Hood - Alchemy (Bandana + Tough Guy Tattoo + Coral Hairpin). Bandana purchased at Peregrin Quay. Tough Guy Tattoo purchased at Argonia Bazaar. Coral Hairpin purchased at Baccarat.
Found in Jessica's room in Alexandria.
- Bunny Suit - Complete Rank F at the Monster Arena
- Bunny Ears - Alchemy (Bunny Tail + Hairband). Bunny Tail purchased at Argonia Bazaar. Hairband purchased at Peregrin Quay.
- Fishnet Stockings - 25 Mini Medal reward from Princess Minnie
Purchase at Pickham or Baccarat.
Purchase at Arcadia.
99 Mini Medal reward from Princess Minnie or found in Heavenly Dais post-game dungeon.
Alchemy - (Dangerous Bustier + Shimmering Dress).
Shimmering Dress (Gold Bracer + Ruby of Protection + Spangled Dress). Gold Bracer and Ruby of Protection purchased at Argonia Bazaar. Spangled Dress purchased at Baccarat Casino for 3000 coins.
Alchemy - (Spangled Dress + Dancer's Costume + Life Bracer).
Spangled Dress is purchased at Baccarat Casino for 3000 coins. Dancer's Costume is purchased at Pickham or Baccarat. Life Bracer is gotten through alchemy (Gold Bracer + Recovery Ring). Gold Bracer is purchased at Argonia Bazaar. Recovery Ring is (Prayer Ring + Seed of Life). Prayer Rings can be gotten at Bacarrat Casino.
School / Blazer
- Scholar Specs - Purchase at Argonia Bazaar.
- Abiding Blazer - This requires the player to complete the 'Dodgy Dave' subevent in the Pickham Tavern. Dave will reward you with gold or items if you craft certain items to bring to him. The Abiding Blazer is his final reward, and in order to get it, you need to give Dave the following late in the game:
- Special Medicine (Strong Medicine + Strong Medicine)
- Reinforced Boomerang (Boomerang + Iron Nail)
- Ring of Immunity (Gold Ring + Poison Needle)
- Robe of Serenity (Boxer Shorts + Cloak of Evasion)
- Sandstorm Spear (Partisan + Saint's Ashes)
- Crimson Robe (Magic Water + Nook Grass + Sage's Robe). Nook Grass can be gotten by talking to Marek at Marta's cottage once that storyline is complete. Sage's Robe is (Magic Vestment + Scholar's Cap) and the components can be bought at Argonia Bazaar.
- Princess Robe (Angel's Robe + Gold Rosary + Shimmering Dress).
- The Princess Robe requires quite a bit of alchemy to get. Angel Robe is (Flowing Dress + Magical Skirt). Magical Skirt is (Bandit's Grass Skirt + Magical Hat + Magical Mace). Shimmering Dress is (Gold Bracer + Ruby of Protection + Spangled Dress). Gold Rosary purchased at Savella.
- Hexlet Hat - Alchemy (Magical Hat + Thinking Cap + Mystifying Mixture).
- Thinking Cap purchased at Tryan Gully. Magical Hat purchased at Argonia Bazaar.
- Hexlet Skirt - Alchemy (Magical Skirt + Imp Knife + Mystifying Mixture)
- Mystifying Mixture = (Medicinal Herb + Antidotal Herb + Moonwort Bulb)
- Imp Knife = (Assassin's Dagger + Devil's Tail)
- Assassin's Dagger = (Eagle Dagger + Poison Needle). Eagle Dagger purchased at Savella. Poison Needle purhcased at Baccarat
- Devil's Tail = Bought in Dragovian Sanctuary
Oriental / Samurai
Alchemy - (Flowing Dress + Crimson Robe + Lunar Fan)
- Flowing Dress - Bought in Tryan Gully
- Crimson Robe - *see Jessica's School Blazer*
- Lunar Fan - Alchemy (Gold Rosary + Full Moon Ring + Stellar Fan).
- Gold Rosary bought at Savella
- Full Moon Ring (Gold Ring + Poison Moth Knife). Gold Ring purchased at Argonia Bazaar. Poison Moth Knife purchased at Pickham.
- Stellar Fan (Silver Tiara + Highly-strung Cheese + Rainbow Fan). Silver Tiara bought in Argonia. Highly-strung cheese found at Dragovian Sanctuary. Rainbow Fan purchased at Tryan Gully.
Reward for beating Rank X of the Monster Arena. I recommend a Monster Team of Nioh, Skeledoid, and Octurian at high levels.
- Kunoichi Headband - Alchemy (Iron Headgear + Mercury's Bandana). Iron Headgear bought at Orkutsk. Mercury's Bandana = (Agility Ring + Bandana). Agility Rings can be got at Pickham Casino.
- Kunoichi Costume - Photo Quest reward
- Cap'n's Clothes - Photo Quest reward
- Pirate's Hat - Dropped by Captain Crow boss.
Reward for turning in 133 mini medals to Princess Minnie.
107 mini medal reward from Princess Minnie.