Atlus will localize Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth later this year
In news that I am sure will shock the entire fandom, Atlus announced this morning they will be releasing Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception this spring and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth later this year for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in North America (via Atlus) and Europe (via Deep Silver). In America, both games will be released on PlayStation 4 ($49.99) and PlayStation Vita ($39.99) physically and digitally. In Europe, the PS4 version is physical and digital, but the Vita version will be digital only. They will also feature English text and the original Japanese audio.
Both of these games are follow-ups to the adult tactical RPG/visual novel hybrid Utawarerumono that was originally released way back in 2002. Due to its popularity, the game spawned anime and manga adaptations (both excellent). 2017 is already off to a great start for fans of the series!
Here is an overview of Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception:
Originally known as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen in Japan, Mask of Deception is a grand tale meant to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. The game begins atop a snowy mountain where the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness, surrounded by deadly creatures, with nothing but a hospital gown and a splitting headache.However, he's eventually rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. Finding that the hapless man has no memory of anything, Kuon decides to take the amnesiac into her care, naming him Haku. As their journey takes them across the land, Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
- An Unforgettable Story - Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we'll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System - Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat - Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It'll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art - With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score - The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Atlus has also noted there will be a content edit in Mask of Deception (which may be a spanking scene):
A brief note on content: While ATLUS is committed to bringing over games that are as true to their original forms as possible, in the case of Mask of Deception, a scene had to have a small content edit to comply with various regional regulations about the depiction of physical discipline to minors. We worked with AQUAPLUS to keep the scope of the editing to an absolute minimum, and we both agree the change made to the scene in the game still conveys its full meaning without running into issues.
You can the official website for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception here and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth here. Check out the official trailer for Mask of Deception below, along with a gallery of screenshots.