Pokemon Sword & Shield Evolution Stones & Items locations & evolve list
As is series tradition, in Pokemon Sword & Shield there's a range of Evolution Items that are used to induce the evolutionary process in Pokemon. Some of these items take the form of familiar Evolution Stones, while others are less immediately obvious.
This page is a nice simple one in concept: it features all evolution items for evolving Pokemon, plus how and where to get them. This page also includes evolution items and Pokemon added to Sword & Shield as part of the Isle of Armor DLC, including items to evolve some of the newly accessible Alolan Pokemon.
Evolution items are a one-time use, so you might need multiple of them depending on what you're evolving. Like Breeding Items, many of these are simply essential - but luckily they're quite common, and with the Isle of Armor DLC you have a super reliably way to get Evolution Items through the Cram-o-Matic machine.
Evolution Stones Pokemon in Sword & Shield
- The Dawn Stone evolves:
- Kirlia (male) into Gallade
- Snorunt (female) into Froslass
- Get one in the Giant's Cap in the Wild Area, or in the Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (respawns), and through the Digging Duo
- The Dusk Stone evolves:
- Lampent into Chandelure
- Doublade into Aegislash
- Found in Stow-on-Side (hidden behind the Pokemon Center), at the Wild Area's Lake of Outrage (respawns), and through the Digging Duo
- Can also be handed over by a Pokemon after a completed Pokejob
- A Fire Stone can evolve:
- Eevee into Flareon
- Growlithe into Arcanine
- Vulpix into Ninetales
- Found at the Motostoke Riverbank in the Wild Area, Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (respawns) and Potbottom Desert on the Isle of Armor
- Also available via the Digging Duo or through PokeJobs
- The Ice Stone evolves the following Pokemon:
- Eevee into Glaceon
- Darumaka into Darmanitan
- Alolan Vulpix into Alolan Ninetales
- Alolan Sandshrew intoi Alolan Sandslash
- Available as Loot on Route 9 (in water), Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (respawns) and through the Digging Duo
- The Leaf Stone evolves:
- Eevee into Leafeon
- Gloom into Vileplume
- Nuzleaf into Shiftry
- Exeggcute into Exeggutor
- Get this from Turffield (hidden to the west of town), the Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (respawns) and the Forest of Focus on the Isle of Armor
- Also available via the Digging Duo and through PokeJobs
- A Moon Stone can evolve...
- Clefairy into Clefable
- Munna into Musharna
- Jigglypuff into Wigglytuff
- Spawns in the Dusty Bowl area of the Wild Area
- Can be found by the Digging Duo and through a PokeJob
- The Oval Stone is only linked to one Pokemon Evolution:
- Happiny into Chansey
- Happiny must level up while holding the Oval Stone in the daytime to evolve.
- Get an Oval Stone through the Cram-o-Matic machine on the Isle of Armor.
- Get a shiny stone to evolve the following:
- Togetic into Togekiss
- Roselia into Roserade
- Minccino into Cinccino
- Located on Route 8 (on a ledge to the south-east) and in the Lake of Outrage in the Wild Area (respawns)
- Can also spawn through PokeJob assignments or for the Digging Duo
- Use a sun stone for these Pokemon evolutions:
- Gloom into Bellossom
- Cottonee into Whimsicott
- Helioptile into Heliolisk
- Petilil into Lilligant
- Grab one in the Dusty Bowl in the Wild Area, or the Fields of Honor and Potbottom Desert on the Isle of Armor
- Also available through the Digging Duo and PokeJob rewards
- A gen 1 classic, use the Thunder Stone to evolve the following Pokemon:
- Pikachu into Raichu
- Eevee into Jolteon
- Charjabug into Vikavolt
- Magneton into Magnezone (new for Sword & Shield)
- Available in the Lake of Outrage (respawns) and North Lake Miloch in the Wild Area
- Plus, can appear through the Dugging Duo and PokeJob rewards
- Use the Water Stone for these evolutions:
- Eevee into Vaporeon
- Lombre into Ludicolo
- Shellder into Cloyster
- Poliwhirl into Poliwrath
- Staryu into Starmie
- Get a Water Stone on Route 2 (hidden, requires the Rotom Bike) and in the Bridge Field and Lake of Outrage (respawns) areas of the Wild Area
- Also available from the Digging Duo or randomly upon completing a PokeJob
Evolution Items in Pokemon Sword & Shield
Chipped Pot & Cracked Pot
- Evolves Sinistea to Polteageist
- Available from the Stow-on-Side bargain shop and on a roof in town.
- Also available through the Cram-o-Matic
- Evolves Seadra to Kingdra - trade while holding the item
- Isle of Armor DLC exclusive. Found in the Honeycalm Sea or via the Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Porygon2 to Porygon-Z - trade while holding item - as detailed in our Sword & Shield Porygon guide
- Exclusive to the Isle of Armor. Found in the Workout Sea area or via the Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Galarian Slowpoke to Galarian Slowbro
- Ise of Armor only - find it in the Workout Sea area, or through Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves the following Pokemon (trade while holding):
- Onix to Steelix
- Scyther to Scizor
- Find it in Stow-on-Side - it's stold in the Bargain Shop but also there's one inside a pot on a roof.
- Also availabie via the Digging Duo.
- Finally, get it in the Isle of Armor DLC on the Challenge Road or from the Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves the following Pokemon (trade while holding)
- Slowpoke to Slowking
- Poliwhirl to Politoed
- Find a King's Rock hidden on route 8, or get it through the Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Feebas into Milotic (trade while holding)
- Get one from Route 2 (in the lake), from the South Lake Miloch part of the Wild Area, or via Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Rhydon into Rhyperior (trade while holding)
- Purchase from the Stow-on-Side Bargain Shop. Available on Route 9 (on an island to the south), in the Potbottom Desert on the Isle of Armor or through Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Dusclops into Dusknoir (trade while holding)
- Purchase in Hammerlocke BP Shop or Stow-on-Side Bargain Shop. Available through Cram-o-Matic.
- Evolves Spritzee into Aromatisse (trade while holding)
- Possible Daily Cafe Battle reward.
- Purchase in Hammerlocke BP Shop.
- Available through Cram-o-Matic.
Sweet Apple & Tart Apple
- Evolves the following, depending on game:
- Applin to Appletun (Sweet, Shield)
- Applin to Flapple (Tart, Sword)
- NPC in Hammerlocke City; give an Applin. Can spawn in the Axew's Eye, near trees, in the Wild Area.
- Evolves Porygon to Porygon2 (trade while holding)
- Available in the Training Lowlands area of the Isle of Armor, or through the Cram-o-Matic.
Various Sweets: Berry, Clover, Flower, Ribbon, Star & Strawberry
- Evolves Milcery to various forms of Alcremie
- Possible reward for winning a Cafe Master Battle. Spin your character by spinning the analog stick around with a Milcery holding the item in your party.
- Evolves Swirlix into Slurpuff (trade while holding)
- Possible Daily Cafe Battle Reward
- Hammerlocke BP Shop
- Via the Cram-o-Matic machine.