Bravely Default II Walkthrough - Chapter 1 | Savalon, Sandswept Ruins & Bernard's Mansion
After your adventures and some sad events back in the prologue, RPG Site's Bravely Default II Walkthrough continues - now with a complete guide to Chapter 1 of your adventure, which has now kicked off proper. This guide features enemy lists, side quests, checklists of treasure to grab, boss strategies, and very useful area maps. Here's how Chapter 1 breaks down:
- Savalon - desert oasis town
- Hydrangea Hills
- Side Quests, Pt 1
- Savalon Field
- Sandswept Ruins
- Underground Reservoir
- Side Quests, Pt 2
- Bernard's Mansion
- Savalon Dungeons
Naturally, this guide will contain spoilers for Chapter 1. If you need other chapters, hit up our walkthrough contents down the page to see the full index.
Bravely Default 2 Walkthrough Guide - Chapter 1
Continuing where we previously left off in our guide to the BD2 Prologue, the Heroes will arrive in the desert fields of Savalon. Head to the town located southeast to reach the town of Savalon, the next major location in the world of Bravely Default 2.
In the town of Savalon, there are some new options available such as taking a wagon to quick travel to towns you have previously explored. If you happen to have the Divining Rod ability equipped, it will display 3 treasures on the map. However, not all of them can be acquired at this time.
- Spear - House beside the Gaming Hall
- Antidote x3 - Inside Royal Palace
- 740 pq - Inside Gaming Hall 2F
- Clothespin - Gaming Hall Balcony, head south west from 2F
- Feather Hat (Available Later) - Once you can access the Underground Reservoir
Continue the story by heading to the giant tent area, which is the Gaming Hall Balcony. After this event, visit the royal palace. When this event is over there are some new side quests available within town. Head inside the giant tent (Gaming Hall) for an event to trigger. With this done, pick up all the side quests within town and complete them at your own leisure. There are also new side quests to pick up back in Halcyonia as well, if you want to use that wagon fast travel/teleport system to revisit there. We recommend picking up Quest 12 and keeping that in mind, as it involves the next area you need to go to. So we list that quest here, and the rest a little later.
Side Quest #012: Always by Your Side
- Location: Talk to the King of Halcyonia.
- Reward: Wind Talisman
- Objective: You will need to collect some Snow Lilies. This is found in the Hydrangea Hills. This location is in the north part of Halcyonia. Since there are a lot of grass in this area, you can cut the grass by pressing Y to obtain random loot.
Your next destination will be the Hydrangea Hills, a winding area that's got many treasures. While navigating through the area, there is one treasure that is unattainable right now. This is the Oak Staff located at the northwest side of the map. You can get this treasure when you obtain the ability to cut trees later in the game. When you reach the end of the hill, you will encounter the Enormocrag boss.
- Badbitt (Beast #018)
- Sahagin Shaman (Aquatic #014)
- Lotl (Aquatic #019)
- Fallen Forkling (Plant #010)
- Lost Souls (Undead #011)
- Enormocrag *Quest Monster (Bosses #032)
Treasure List - Hydrangea Hills
- Hi Potion
- Magnifying Glass x4
- Teleport Stone
- 410 pq
- Star Pendant
- Wizard’s Rod
- Bomb Fragment
- Zeus Wrath
- Magnifying Glass
- Oak Staff (Monster Chest) - Available later once you can fell trees
- Enormocrag / HP (6864)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 1755 / JP 150 / pg 920
Now that you've beaten Enormocrag, you can turn your attention to the quests - if you want. We do recommend you complete them. With the side quests all completed - or if you want to just continue the main story sooner - leave town and head to the ruins southwest of town.
Side Quest #013: Gold in the Grass
- Location: In Halcyonia, talk to an old man by the bridge.
- Reward: 1300 pq
- Objective: To complete this side quest, you need to find the Gold Dentures by cutting the grass to the east side of Halcyonia.
Side Quest #014: In the Dark
- Location: Talk to the Man near the Outlaw’s Hideout.
- Reward: Booster Bun (Physical Def) x2
- Objective: To finish this quest, simply head to Halcyonia Palace, and talk to the guard stationed to the right. He will lend you the Lantern to complete the request.
Side Quest #015: Belle of the Ball
- Location: In Halcyonia, talk to the woman near the bridge.
- Reward: Feather Hat
- Objective: Collect 3x Roc Tail Feather. You can get this feather by defeating Rocs at the Vale of SIghs. When you have collected the feathers, travel to Savalon and talk to the man by the flea market. The man will craft the Feather Dress, give the dress to the client to complete the quest.
Side Quest #016: The Harbinger of Calamity
- Location: In Savalon, talk to the man near the entrance of town.
- Reward: 680 pq
- Objective: This quest is completed by defeating the group of monsters on the westside of Savalon field, then returning.
Side Quest #017: Say it with Shells
- Location: In Savalon, talk to the man inside the small house by the center of the map.
- Reward: 520 pq
- Objective: This is a simple quest, travel to the south side of Savalon field and collect 3x Pretty Seashell to complete the quest.
Side Quest #018: Target Practice
- Location: Talk to the guard inside Savalon''s Royal Palace.
- Reward: Iron Bow
- Objective: Defeat 3 Goblin archers.
Side Quest #019: Book Smarts
- Location: In Savalon, talk to the old man, northeast of town.
- Reward: Silver Glasses x2
- Objective: You can find the book by visiting Halcyonia and talk to the boy by the staircase.
Side Quest #020: A Long Lunch
- Location: Talk to the woman in the west part of Savalon.
- Reward: Large JP Orb
- Objective: Deliver Packed Lunch to the man in Sandswept Ruins. Then return to Savalon to get the Flask. Then repeat again with the Fork. This requires 3 trips of delivering items to the man to fully complete the quest.
- Goblin Archer (Humanoid #003)
- Orc Leader (Humanoid #012)
- Grizzly (Beast #009)
- Killer Ant (Insect #009)
- Fresh Foliole (Plant #011)
- Sagahin Shieldbearer (Aquatic #015)
- Toxolotl (Aquatic #020)
- Undine (Spirit #017)
- Evil Eye (Demon #012)
- Antiphates (Undead #019)
- Wiki-Wiki (Spirit #024)
- Mushussu *Rare Monster (Bosses #007) - Exit north from the Underground Reservoir
- Nightmare *Rare Monster (Bosses #018)
Treasures - Savalon Field
- Bronze Bangle
- 390 pq
- Flame Talisman
- Mythril Staff (Monster Chest)
- Small Experience Orb (Monster Chest)
Treasures Available laterAdvertisement. Keep scrolling for more
- Power Bracers - After traveling through the Underground Reservoir
- Force Amulet (Monster Chest) - After traveling through the Underground Reservoir
- Ward Light x2 (Monster Chest) - After completing Side Quest #028: Human's Best Friend: Part II
As mentioned, once you're done with the side quests and loot gathering, your next step is to head to the ruins south-west of Town - that's the Sandswept Ruins, right towards the bottom-left corner of the map.
- Sandworm (Insect #001)
- Diatryma (Beast #014)
- Terra Element (Spirit #012)
- Restless Souls (Undead #012)
- Daidarabocchi (Undead #020)
Treasure List - The Sandswept Ruins
- Antidote x5
- Mini Ether x3
- 1180 pq
- Mythril Sword
- Gaia Shield (Monster Chest)
When you reach the save point, you’re closed to the end of the dungeon. Be sure to have healers equipped with the Clothespin accessory, as the upcoming boss can counter magic attacks with sleep magic.
- Orpheus / HP (10640)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 2120 / JP 298 / pg 1195
After the boss battle, return to Savalon. There are some new events including a new side quest or two you can tackle. Anyways, when you head near the inn area, an event scene will occur.
Side Quest #021: Heart and Sole
- Location: Speak to Adelle near Savalon's Inn.
- Reward: Snug Scarf
- Objective: This quest is done by talking to Elvis in the east side of town. Then look for the cat on the west side. The quest should be marked with an objective marker.
Side Quest #022: Add Some Sparkle
- Location: Inside the Gaming Hall, talk to the man in the top spot.
- Reward: Teleport Stone x5
- Objective: This quest can be completed by finding the Sparkling Sand located in the northeast part of the Savalon Field map.
When you're ready to continue with the main story, see the event with Anihal in the middle of the road. When this event occurs, you can talk to another NPC on the east side of town. After this event, you can enter the house to the bottom right corner of the map, grab the area's last chest, and then head downstairs to the Underground Reservoir.
- Silkmoth (Insect #001)
- Lop-Eared Ratbitt (Beast #019)
- Gelaflan (Aquatic #002)
- Dagon (Aquatic #016)
- Roxolotl (Aquatic #021)
Treasure List - Underground Reservoir
- Ice Talisman
- Teleport Stone
- 1340 pg
- Iron Bangle
- Echo Herbs x5
- Ether x2
- Antarctic Wind x3
- Bulwark Blade (Monster Chest)
Be sure to exit to the world map to the north of the dungeon to access some chests you couldn't reach before, along with a Rare Monster.
- Anihal / HP (11150)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 1994 / JP 343 / pg 1347
After defeating Anihal, you will get the Beastmaster Job Class. The Beastmaster is a really powerful class that can use abilities from monsters you have captured - just like the what Anihal and their monsters did to you in the previous battle. These abilities are really powerful for early game, as mentioned in our list of the best jobs & job combos.
Leave the dungeon. Don't forget that you can use a teleport stone to instantly warp to the entrance. Then meet Anihal in her house for an event scene. With this event done, there will be new side quests in Savalon again. Complete them at your own leisure.
Side Quest #023 is not available until later in the chapter, despite what the numbering suggests.
Side Quest #024: Taking a Gamble
- Location: Talk to the host (Shirley) in the Gaming Hall.
- Reward: Medium JP Orb x2
- Objective: This quest is triggered by talking to the host in the Gaming Hall, this will lead you to play a tutorial on the card game, B & D. Once you have cleared the tutorial, you'll be able to access the Card Binder in the Lore menu, and you will need to win against some bystanders in the gaming hall. When you have won against them, you can face Shirley. Be sure to save your game. Because beating Shirley in the card game will trigger a boss battle. Winning this boss fight will also unlock the Gambler Job Class. For more in depth information, we have also created an article detailing everything about this side quest.
- Shirley / HP (14608)
- Orpheus / HP (12160)
- Henchman / HP (1108)
- Swordsman / HP (1022)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 1878 / JP 460 / pg 1268 / People Pleasers
Side Quest #025: A Fragrant Lie
- Location: Talk to the man by the bottom right side of town.
- Reward: Booster Bun (Magical Attack)
- Objective: When you have accepted the request, you can clear the quest by heading down to the Underground Reservoir. Take the warp and take north exit to outside. There you will find a shiny spot for the Posh Perfume.
Side Quest #026: A Fluttery Stomach
- Location: Talk to the guard at the Royal Palace at night.
- Reward: Mythril Shield
- Objective: You just need to return to the Underground Reservoir and defeat two Silkmoths.
Side Quest #027: Rich Pickings
- Location: Inside the Gaming Hall, talk to the man to the left side.
- Reward: Small JP Orb
- Objective: Head to the abandoned mansion and get the priceless vase. This mansion is located northeast of the field map. You will need to examine a treasure on the second floor to trigger an empty chest event. Doing so will trigger a boss fight when you reach the exit of the mansion.
Your next dungeon is the Abandoned Mansion, which happens to be where you need to go for Side Quest 27, 'Rich Pickings'. This is optional; you can skip ahead a section if you want. The place seems a bit of a maze but is actually somewhat straightforward. First, head up to the third level of the lobby and take the left-side door to reach a separated section of the third floor to grab the Star Corslet. Following that, head back to the entrance and head into the first-floor area to grab the chests there. Then follow the one way path through floors 2 (interact with the quest marker here), 3, 2, and back to 1 to meet the objective.
Note that the Purge Pick rare drop or rare steal from Vishno is a pretty rare item that you can grab while you are here.
- Lost Mageling (Humanoid #020)
- Razor Vesp (Insect #020)
- Cait Sith (Spirit #005)
- Electrica Element (Spirit #011)
- Vishno (Demon #020)
- Amphora *Quest Monster (Bosses #039)
Treasure List - Abandoned Mansion Level 1
- Remedy x4 (Monster Chest)
- Lü Bu's Spear (Monster Chest)
Treasure List - Abandoned Mansion Level 2Advertisement. Keep scrolling for more
- Staff of Life (Monster Chest)
- Hi-Potion x3
Treasure List - Abandoned Mansion Level 3
- Star Corslet
- Mythril Shield
- 950 pq
- Amphora / HP (19448)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 2340 / JP 190 / pg 1580
Upon defeating the boss, you'll be placed next to a quick shortcut to exit back outside.
With all the optional things completed and you want to move on with the main story. Head to the Bernard’s Mansion located southeast on the field map. You can get Mythril Sword, Mythril Axe, and Mythril Bow from the enemies here as a rare drop or rare steal.
- Swordsman (Humanoid #023)
- Axemaiden (Humanoid #024)
- Henchman (Humanoid #025)
- Bowmaiden (Humanoid #026)
- Minotaur (Beast #005)
- Peiste (Aquatic #005)
- Evil Eye (Demon #012)
- Wiki-Wiki (Spirit #024)
Treasure List - Bernard's Mansion Level 1
- Bad Bone
- Legion Helm
- Stab & Grab
Treasure List - Bernard's Mansion B1
- Remedy x2
- Medium JP Orb (Monster Chest)
Treasure List - Bernard's Mansion B2
- 3000 pq
- Holy Mitre
- Teleport Stone
- Iron Bangle
- Bernard / HP (17556)
- Swordsman / HP (1022)
- Axemaiden / HP (1022)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 2233 / JP 380 / pg 1481
After the event scene, you will end up in Savalon Dungeons. You can grab some treasures here along with getting Quest #023 by talking to the prisoner.
Treasures -Savalon Dungeon
- Well-Worn Muleta (Monster Chest)
- Mini Ether x4
- Phoenix Down x3
Leave the prison, use the town to make preparations. You can either complete that side quest now or after the next story battle.
Side Quest #023: Bond of Brothers
- Location: Talk to the man in the Savalon Prison Cell
- Reward: Peace Ring
- Objective: Once you obtain the quest, talk to the guard marked in the palace. Then return to the prison to deliver the message to the client. Head back to the palace again and talk to the guard. Report back to complete the quest.
When you’re set, head to the Palace to Castor’s room to trigger a boss battle. Make sure to save ahead of time.
- Castor / HP (28140)
Boss Loot: Acquire EXP 2310 / JP 420 / pg 1400
After defeating Castor, complete the side quest from the prison if you haven't yet. Then leave town for a scene, then travel northwest to trigger a new side quest.
Side Quest #028: Human’s Best Friend: Part II
- Location: Meet Truff northwest of Savalon.
- Reward: Medium Experience Orb x2
- Objective: Return to Savalon, and talk to the man near the Gaming Hall Entrance. Then talk to the Innkeeper. Give the dish to Truff to complete the quest. Your characters will gain the ability to cut trees.
Clear the tree. While you're doing this, you can also do a detour back to Hydrangea Hills to get that Oak Staff which you couldn't grab earlier. You'll be able to get the last chest from this side of the map past the now-cleared bridge. If you just continue further north, an event will trigger and will conclude the chapter. Onwards to Wiswald and Chapter 2.